[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Birck Parking, New Constructions

Shakouri, Ali shakouri at purdue.edu
Wed Feb 6 09:39:49 EST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

DP learned in mid December that Purdue Physical Facilities has decided not to move forward with the planned parking lot south of Birck, which was supposed to alleviate parking problems with the additional construction. Tomas sent an email right away on Dec. 19. We didn’t receive any feedback in January, so I followed up with VP for Physical Facilities (see below my email on Jan. 26).

Last Friday, we received the construction map (see attached). According to the current plans, Marshall Dr. will be closed and we will loose most of the existing parking west of Birck after Feb. 28th. Car access to Birck will be very limited. The only parking for the whole Discovery Park will be south of Discovery Learning Center and I assume this will limit student C parking further south of this parking lot as well. This will affect us not only during the construction period (until mid 2020 or so); there are no other plans for a Purdue parking near us in the near future.

I know having nearby parking is considered as a luxury and some refer to the limited parking in the main campus as a new norm we should get used to. The challenge is that all of our faculty need to go back and forth to teach classes and participate in administrative meetings. We are supposed to be a convening place that brings different disciplines together.

In order to come up with short term and long term parking solutions, we need input from faculty. For resident faculty, could you send Jaime (jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>) times and days of the week when you need to drive back and forth for teaching and/or committee/department meetings this semester? If you are not a resident faculty, please indicate times/days you drive to Birck.

Once we have all of the data, we plan to organize a town hall meeting with Physical Facilities ASAP. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions or comments.

Best regards,
Ali