[Bnc-faculty-all-list] You're Invited! Purdue 2050: Conference of the Future, September 26-27, 2019

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Thu Aug 8 09:22:57 EDT 2019

[cid:image001.png at 01D547A8.3B768AC0]

Dear All,

It is our pleasure to personally invite you to participate in a national symposium on "Purdue 2050: Conference of the Future" as part of Purdue University's 150th anniversary<http://maillinks.purdue.edu/t/37122656/1330614724/77384829/0/70628/?x=03c0d4ac> on September 26-27, 2019. Our anniversary theme is "Giant Leaps," recalling Purdue alumnus Neil Armstrong's historic statement on the moon. The centerpiece of the Giant Leaps celebration is a yearlong Ideas Festival, already underway, focused on the most critical challenges and opportunities facing our world now and in the future.

This is an 'uncommon conference' where participants will have an immersive experience in futuristic technology that should appear in 2030 to 2050. The primary objective is to organize a conference, as it would happen in the future. The conference will include a series of sessions designed to explore emerging technologies through the lens of critical issues such as privacy and community development. Other sessions include future of healthcare, factories, and art and theatre. A leading expert will introduce quantum technologies to general public as taught in 2050. We will also have a series of student competitions. In the conference room of the future at Honors Hall, designed in collaboration with Purdue's Department of Art and Design, facial expressions of participants will be analyzed. This will provide real-time feedback to the speakers and audience, helping evaluate how new ideas are received. Exhibitions include nanophotonics/laser art, semi-transparent flexible loudspeaker, artificial intelligence generated art, an interactive model to experience a fall and your heartbeat. Each participant will be given a wearable device (e.g. for monitoring sweat).

The event will bring together preeminent thought leaders, practitioners, and stakeholders from across government, industry, and academia to address key questions and help us better understand and plan for the impacts of these new technologies. Please visit our website<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/2050/index.php> for an updated list of presenters.

Thank you for your consideration and we hope you'll join us on September 26-27. Registration is required; the cost is $40 for Purdue students, $100 for Purdue faculty and staff, and $200 for others. Please register<https://www.cvent.com/events/purdue-2050-conference-of-the-future/registration-6a8a950e61fb40b6a147a110fa1b3bbd.aspx?fqp=true>, no later than August 30th. Seating is limited. More information may be found at https://www.purdue.edu/dp/2050.

Sincerely,

Tomás Díaz de la Rubia
Vice President for Discovery Park at Purdue University

Ali Shakouri
Mary Jo and Robert L. Kirk Director, Birck Nanotechnology Center
Professor of  Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering