[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Future BNC Meeting - Thurs. 4/25 @ 12pm in BRK 2001 - Daniel Suter

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Tue Apr 23 07:30:54 EDT 2019

Dear all,

The next Future BNC Meeting will be this Thursday, 4/25 @ 12pm (lunch provided) in BRK 2001.

Daniel Suter<http://suterlab.bio.purdue.edu/> , Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, will first present his research on neuronal mechanics of axonal growth, which he conducted in collaboration with other members of the BNC over the last couple of years and then will open up the discussion on how to stimulate more interactions between engineers and biologists.

Neuronal mechanics: an example of nano-bio research
Our research is aimed at a better understanding of the underlying molecular and cellular mechanisms of neurite growth and guidance. We hope that our findings will not only contribute to basic knowledge of nervous system development and neuronal cell biology, but also guide treatments for developmental and mental disorders, injuries, and neurodegenerative diseases. The neuronal growth cone, a highly motile sensory and signaling device at the tip of extending neurites, has been the focus of our attention. We have used a variety of imaging and biophysical techniques to investigate the dynamics and mechanics of neuronal growth. In this presentation, I will focus on our studies that we have conducted in collaboration with chemical, mechanical, and biomedical engineers affiliated with the BNC, especially using the Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) to determine topography, stiffness, and forces in growth cones.

Thank you!

Jaime Turner
Administrative Assistant to the Director
Birck Nanotechnology Center | Room 1027 | W. Lafayette, IN
Office:  765.494.3509 | Fax: 765.496.8383 | Email: jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[https://www.purdue.edu/brand/images/Purdue_University-150_Years_of_Giant_Leaps.png]
www.purdue.edu/giantleaps<http://www.purdue.edu/giantleaps>