[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Birck Faculty Meeting - June 19, 10am, BRK 2001

Shakouri, Ali shakouri at purdue.edu
Mon Jul 2 07:26:15 EDT 2018

Dear All,

Here is a link to the viewgraphs from Birck faculty meeting on June 19th:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzw3pcpdrslrm48/BNC_Faculty%20June%202018.pdf?dl=0

I would like to thank great efforts by our faculty who brought record funding ($37M) and to the staff who, not only are doing an outstanding job in maintaining the facility (UPS upgrade, subfab renovation, etc.), but they worked diligently to install many new state-of-the-art equipment (JEOL ebeam writer, ion-mill, 45ft R2R manufacturing, LasX, and Microsoft tools). Several additional major equipment will be installed in the next 6-9 months (Themis TEM, FIB, cleanroom SEM, Heidelberg MLA, HDPCVD and PVD for nitrides and magnetics). Several faculty and staff played key role in writing external and internal proposals. I would like to thank Haiyan, Joerg, Dana, Vlad, Sasha, Ernesto as well as EVPRP and Associate Deans for Research for their great support.

One of our goals is to eliminate recharge centers’ subsidies (especially tools/services that are not typically subsidized in top nano centers). We have had great progress in reducing the overall subsidy and I am working with our staff scientists to eliminate the remaining ones. This will help us to use valuable internal resources to replace aging tools and to bring new capabilities to Purdue. If you have suggestions for new equipment, please send an email to Dana.

The construction of the Aspire apartment building in front of Birck has caused some disruption because of the vibration and noise. HDR (the company that designed and built Birck) did a detailed impact study. Thanks to the great efforts by Mark Voorhis, Justin Wirth, Ron Reger, Chris Gilpin, our staff scientists as well as Ron Reifenberger, Dave Janes, Cliff Wojtalewicz and Donna Brown, PRF changed the plans for the expansion of the McArthur Drive and the multi-story parking structure (they are moved outside 400ft radius). I would like to thank PRF’s Rich Michal and Brian Edelman for their great support and plans to build a high tech ecosystem in DP District benefiting from the synergy with outstanding research by our students and faculty.

I have summarized some recommendations from Birck Faculty Leadership Council that we hope to implement starting in August. To have a transformational change, faculty and staff should take ownership and be fully engaged. Please let Dana, Yong or I know if you have any suggestions or comments. Thanks in advance for your time.

Best regards,
Ali