[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Birck Faculty Seminar Thursday 12-1 BRK 2001

Black, Nancy Lee blackn at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 20 16:55:44 EST 2018

Birck Faculty Seminar
Dr. Pen-Li (Ben) Yu
Thursday, February 22, 2018
12:00pm – 1:00pm
BRK 2001 – Lunch Provided
RF MEMS for Quantum Applications

In recent years, quantum technology has undergone a revolution in both the individual quantum bit performance as well as the number of coupled qubits. Along with this revolution is the need of sending quantum information over long distance and tools to operate qubit. In this talk I will describe my research efforts on the development of RF MEMS for quantum communication and control. First, just like modern communication, sending quantum information over long distance requires coupling the microwave quantum processors to optical network. The state of the art microwave-to-optical converter is an electro-opto-mechanical system with 42% photon conversion efficiency. Secondly, for room temperature qubit such as NV center in diamond and deviancies in SiC, RF MEMS provides an alternative way to control it with its compactness, integrability, high-Q enhancement, and access to magnetic forbidden transition.