[Bnc-faculty-all-list] REVISIONS TO THE SCIFRES CAP-PLEASE READ (Sent on behalf of the BNC Director)

Allain, Monica M.C. mallain at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 22 09:51:51 EST 2011

Dear BNC Faculty,

I am writing to let you know about a change to the cap policy for users of the Scifres Nanofabrication Laboratory (SNL).  As you know, a policy has been in effect for several years that caps an individual student's annual SNL charges at $15,000.  Any charges above this amount are covered by the BNC general fund.  When this policy was first enacted, the overall rates were increased slightly to keep the change revenue-neutral.  The cap policy has the effect of encouraging heavier users, and thereby increasing overall utilization.

Recently we have been informed by Costing that the system has to be modified to comply with Federal regulations.  I want to emphasize that we have no choice in the matter.  The change affects the accounting for students who charge to multiple accounts during the year.  This can happen if (i) the student is working simultaneously on two different projects, or (ii) if the student changes accounts during the year, e.g. when one grant expires and another begins.  Beginning with the current fiscal year (i.e. July 2010), the cap must be computed separately for each student-account.  In other words, the student must reach the cap separately on each account  before the cap comes into effect for that account.

Although we are required to implement the new procedure, we still have the authority to adjust the cap amount.  Accordingly, beginning July 2010 we are reducing the cap from $15,000 per student to $13,000 per student-account.  Based on data from the 2008-09 fiscal year, this adjustment will be revenue-neutral to the recharge center, meaning the overall savings to the user community will be unchanged.  Some faculty will save less (because their students charge to multiple accounts, making it harder to reach the cap) and others will save more (because the cap limit is lower).  We will evaluate the SNL user rates and the cap annually, and make adjustments as needed to preserve the savings to the overall user community.

If you have questions about how this change will affect your group, please contact Monica Allain, BNC Managing Director.

Thanks!

      -- Jim