[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Coral Reservation Abuse -ACTION REQUESTED - on behalf of John Weaver

Leonid Rokhinson leonid at purdue.edu
Fri Sep 3 09:54:46 EDT 2010

Yong,

what you say makes a lot of sense: if you have a bottleneck you have a
traffic jam. I've heard similar story from my student who worked in the
clean room last year. The shadow reservation/swap system clearly points
to the failure of the official one, we need to look at the source of the
problem rather than how to punish the offenders.

More evaporators (even cheaper resistive ones, like Edwards 306 or
Denton 502, ~$50K) may solve the problem. I just came from Cavendish
lab, they have ~9 evaporators for a small clean room of <50 users. In
this case they have dedicated evaporators for different types of
contacts and gates which also improves cleanliness, quality and
increases yield.  Another possibility is to retrofit evaporators with
load locks, in this case the usage time reduces to < hour and also
vacuum/quality improves. Needless to say that there were no more than 1
day waiting times.

--Leonid

--

Leonid Rokhinson
Department of Physics

Tel:    (765) 494-3014 (office) [+I-DCCLXV-CDXCIV-MMMXIV]
               494-5513 (lab)
Fax:    (765) 494-0706          [+I-DCCLXV-CDXCIV-DCCVI]
e-mail: leonid at purdue.edu
web:    www.physics.purdue.edu/people/faculty/leonid.shtml