[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Coral Reservation Abuse - ACTION REQUESTED - on behalf of John Weaver

David B. Janes janes at ecn.purdue.edu
Sun Aug 29 13:27:45 EDT 2010

I generally agree with the sentiments expressed by Mike and Xianfan.
However, I would like to point out that 12 hours is way too long.  My
students routinely process samples where certain process steps must  be
done within a few minutes of each other.  This implies that students
need to reserve slots on several pieces of equipment in relatively rapid
sequence (or perform wet-chemistry steps immediately prior to using a
given piece of equipment), and problems with the process at any step
makes the next reservation unnecessary (often with just a few minutes
notice).   The "equipment down" exemption that Xianfan has proposed
would also need to be extended to cover this case.  Perhaps we could
institute a financial/access penalty for those students who have an
unusually large number of "no-shows" or un-justified late cancellations.

Rather than criminalize every case where a reservation goes un-used, I
think we broadly need an environment in which we acknowledge that
various circumstances will arise.  This should be balanced with an
expectation that all users act responsibly.   Since there are apparently
a relatively small number of students who have accounted for a
relatively large fraction of the overall un-used slots, I think
Dimitri's suggestion of meeting with the specific students is a good
short-term approach.  In addition, I would hope that their faculty
advisors would understand that this reflects poorly on them (the
advisor), and make it clear to their student(s) that this behavior needs
to  stop.

In a broader sense, I think this is part of a "my research comes first,
and I don't particularly care about other people's ability to be
productive/safe" mentality exhibited by a small, but significant, subset
of our users.  I listed a few examples in an earlier email in this
thread.  Based on numerous discussions with the BNC staff, there are a
small number of users who cause a large fraction of our equipment
down-time, messes in chem hoods, etc..  In many instances, the
individual with this attitude actually degrades their owe research (as
well as that of others).   As faculty, I think we have a responsibility
to make it clear to students that this overall attitude is not
acceptable in a facility such as BNC.

Dave