[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Reminder of MRSEC proposal planning meeting -- Tomorrow (Wed). at 3:30 in Birck 1099

David B. Janes janes at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Oct 27 15:52:41 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Just wanted to remind you that we will be meeting at 3:30 tomorrow (Wed)
in Birck 1099 -- to continue discussion of
MRSEC proposal planning efforts.

Prior Meeting:

At the last meeting, we distributed a spreadsheet describing the
existing MRSEC centers -- site/title/director/IRG topics.
(Copies available upon request; just let me know whether you prefer the
4 page version or the 56 page version).

This Meeting:

We'd like to line up presentations/tutorials/discussions aimed at
focusing our thoughts on potential topics. Tomorrow's meeting will be
an opportunity to i) bring up new ideas/topics, ii) volunteer to lead a
discussion on an IRG theme, nascent idea, potential unique capability,
iii) suggest potential leaders for themes.

To date, we have received suggestions for topics along these lines --
none have been fleshed out yet, but we'll be scheduling discussions on these
for the relatively near future.

1. Thermoelectric materials (T. Sands, Y. Chen)

2. Mechanical and viscoelastic properties of soft materials, including
hydrogels and biological tissues.  (inputs from Alex Wei, although
by mutual agreement will need to identify someone to lead this).

3. 1-D materials for nanoelectronics/ photonics (?) (E. Stach, D. Janes,
J. Appenzeller).

4. Materials issues for correlated electron systems  (M. Manfra)
Thanks,

Eric and Dave