[Bnc-facility-notice] NOTICE - Loss of Campus Steam Pressure

Voorhis, Mark L. mvoorhis at purdue.edu
Mon Jan 20 13:54:09 EST 2020

Dear BNC Users

Things went from bad to worse, during the process of bring more boilers on line at the wade power plant one of the two remaining boilers tripped off, one of them being a very large coal burning boiler.  Our high pressure steam is 13 psi (normal is 125 psi)  and we are close to losing HVAC controls for the general labs.  We have implemented steam contingency plans and shut all atrium and office HVAC systems plus all general lab and cleanroom humiditiy control.  The humidity in the general labs and cleanroom are very low at 20% (normal is 45%).  Wade is in the process of bring up a larger gas fired boiler but it takes time to start generating steam.

We will keep you posted.

Mark