[Bnc-facility-notice] UPDATE - BNC Preventative Maintenance Closure & Research Equipment Power Outage

Voorhis, Mark L. mvoorhis at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 14 15:28:27 EDT 2019

Dear BNC User,

Issues outside of our control switchboard #1 that supplies power to all the research equipment at the center was not fixed due to a safety interlock failure.  This issue has to be fixed in order to safety power down switchboard #1 and fix the original bus duct issues.  Purdue Campus high voltage crew and electrical shops are currently trying to figure out how to fix the safety issue to complete repairs to the original bus duct.

The inspect and repairs on the other switchboard #2 showed lose grounding connections and several of the main bolts required tighten back to original torque settings.  Based on this information we feel that switchboard #1 needs to be shut down again to complete repairs.  Our hope is to finish switchboard #1 this week if possible but we am waiting on feedback from the Purdue high voltage crew and electrical shops to see if this is possible.  If not then another shutdown for Switchboard #1 requiring to power off all research equipment will be needed.

Please note that the building will remain closed till the end of the week to complete our normal preventive maintenance activates.  We are sorry for the inconvenience but this issue is outside of our control.   I will sent a updated once more information is available.

Thank you,

Mark Voorhis
Building Manager
Office: (765) 494-3036
[Purdue_University-150_Years_of_Giant_Leaps]
www.purdue.edu/giantleaps