[BNC-all] Cleanroom Citizenship

Reger, Ronald K rreger at purdue.edu
Mon Mar 11 14:00:00 EDT 2024

Dear Birck Cleanroom Research Community,

We have a serious problem and we need your help and compliance!  Recently numerous examples of poor cleanroom citizenship have been observed and reported to us by students and staff.  The rules for keeping our cleanroom pristine have not always been followed, and this is not only setting a bad precedence but also potentially causing problems with research results!  Issues include, but are not limited to:

  *   leaving clutter in fume hoods
  *   leaving waste containers uncapped
  *   leaving totes out on tables and/or the floor when users exit the cleanroom
  *   leaving nitrogen and water guns laying in hoods rather than being hung up
  *   not rotating three times in each of the two air showers
  *   being careless with cleanroom mask/veils which allows particles to be released from the face area
  *   not returning chemical bottles to proper storage
  *   not wearing proper PPE (goggles, etc) when working in fume hoods
  *   etc.

These violations have all been observed lately, and show a disrespect for safety and for proper cleanroom cleanliness.  Again, not only could someone be injured with a safety violation but research results could be compromised due to chemical and/or particle contamination.  We have over 200 users of our cleanroom, and they all expect cleanliness and safety practices to be strictly followed so they may enjoy good experimental results.  One person not following our cleanroom safety and cleanliness protocols can negatively affect everyone.

We are requiring your immediate attention to these matters.  We instruct the proper cleanroom safety and cleanliness protocols in BNC 111 and 206, and we expect everyone to follow them.

We are going to be checking cameras, and staff members will be carefully observing practices while in the cleanroom.  Violators will receive only one warning, and subsequent infractions will result in discipline, including expulsion from the cleanroom.

Please cooperate to keep our state-of-the-art cleanroom facility one of the finest in the country.

Thanks for your attention to these critical issues.

Ron

Ron Reger
Engineering Manager
Birck Nanotechnology Center | Room 2289 |
Office:  765.494.6667 | Email: rreger at purdue.edu<mailto:rreger at purdue.edu>
Wiki:  https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/display/BNCWiki
iLabs:  https://purdue.ilabsolutions.com/homepage/<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpurdue.ilabsolutions.com%2Fhomepage%2F&data=05%7C02%7Cbnc-all%40ecn.purdue.edu%7C9223408e22da412bf59a08dc41f51213%7C4130bd397c53419cb1e58758d6d63f21%7C0%7C0%7C638457768019613390%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=EpXp71CAXgE6Mc%2BIkEQDegKyH5mwGvx%2FxJKc3mA6g04%3D&reserved=0>