[BNC-all] Birck outreach callout

Abrol Sangeeta S. abrols at purdue.edu
Tue Jul 9 09:37:36 EDT 2024

Dear Birck community,

We are preparing for this year's main outreach events in September and we want to give research groups a chance to engage directly with young people to show the excitement of their nanoscience research. We will be participating in Manufacturing Week in Lafayette happening the whole week of Sept. 30 - Oct. 4 . For grades K-5 children we have our Nano Days kits which NSAC organized and presented and we hope to do this again. For middle school students (grades 6-8), we need Birck faculty to put together hands-on activities demonstrating your research. Last year, we really appreciate the contributions from the groups of Liang Pan, Xianfan Xu, and Rosa Diaz. This year, we hope to scale this up and have activities all week. Knowing that many groups cannot commit to being there all 5 days, we will need more research groups to sign up so Birck can have a strong presence all week.
This is a chance for us to reach over 1000 children from surrounding counties in a large and well-established event in Lafayette, and is a great opportunity for Birck and Purdue!

Here are some dates to keep in mind:
July 19: deadline for RSVP to Neil about an activity
August 7: demonstration of your activities at Birck for our outreach team
Sept. 30-Oct 4: Manufacturing Week

Please email Neil Dilley ndilley at purdue.edu<mailto:ndilley at purdue.edu> if your group can provide a research activity, or if you have any questions, and thank you for inspiring the next generation!
Best regards,
Neil

--
Neil R. Dilley, Ph.D.