[BNC-all] REMINDER: BNC Faculty Seminar Series: Speaker - Tyler N. Tallman - TODAY, March 25th | 12noon | via Zoom

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Thu Mar 25 08:33:52 EDT 2021

Reminder: BNC Faculty Seminar TODAY @ 12:00noon.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D72151.775F97A0]

The BNC Faculty Seminar Series is designed to provide faculty a platform to present an overview of their research and the opportunity for collaborative discussion with other BNC faculty and researchers across six colleges and 15 academic units.

Tyler N. Tallman
Assistant Professor, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics

March 25th, 2021 | 12:00pm
Join Zoom: https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/91754078808

Title: Research and applications at the intersection of multi-functional materials, non-invasive imaging, and inverse methods

Abstract: In this talk, I will summarize the work being done by my research group. Broadly speaking, our work exists at the intersection of three areas - multi-functional materials, non-invasive imaging, and inverse methods. More specifically, we focus on nanofiller-enabled electrical properties in polymeric composites and how these properties can be utilized for intrinsic self-sensing and/or active property modulation via thermo-mechanical loading. The intersection of these areas has potential for application to diverse areas such as structural health monitoring (SHM) and nondestructive evaluation (NDE), novel sensing technology including additively manufactured (AM) sensors, bio-medical implants and technology, and next-generation materials with in-operation property reconfigurability.

In the first part of this talk, I will discuss the material systems with which we are working and our efforts to model their multiphysical properties across length scales. Next, I will discuss how we combine these multi-functional materials with electrical property imaging modalities for spatially distributed sensing. And lastly, I will summarize our work in inverse methods - the process of inverting stimulus-property relations in these materials in order to ascertain properties of interest (e.g. strains, stresses, damages, etc.) from electrical observations. Applications such as structural engineering, artificial skins, and medicine will be integrated throughout the talk.

Bio:  Tyler Tallman is an Assistant Professor in the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics at Purdue University. He joined Purdue in 2015. Prior to this, Tyler earned a PhD and MS in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan in 2015 and 2012, respectively. He also earned a BS in Physics and Mathematics from the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire and a BS in Engineering Mechanics from the University of Wisconsin - Madison both in 2010. To date, Tyler has published 28 journal articles (+7 currently under review) and 31 conference proceedings in the areas of multi-functional materials, distributed sensing, inverse methods, and nanocomposites. This work has also resulted in one patent. His technical work has been recognized with three best journal paper awards from the ASME, and his commitment to students has been recognized with multiple teaching awards. Tyler is active in his technical community by serving on the Program Committee for the SPIE Smart Structures/NDE Conference, on the ASME Adaptive Structures and Material Systems (ASMS) Branch, and as the Secretary for the ASME ASMS Structural Health Monitoring Technical Committee.

Previously recorded talks: https://engineering.purdue.edu/Intranet/Groups/BNC/FacultySeminars

Upcoming BNC Virtual Faculty Seminars and Recorded Talks, Spring 2021:

Date
Faculty
Title
1/28/20
Dmitry Zemlyanov, Senior Research Scientist - Surface Science Application, Birck Nanotechnology Center
Growth and characterization of 2D materials
2/4/21
Yi Xie, Assistant Professor, School of Nuclear Engineering
Degradation of Structural Materials and Fuels in Nuclear Systems
2/11/21
Letian Dou, Charles Davidson Chair Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering
Organic-Perovskite Hybrid Quantum Wells, Heterostructure, and Optoelectronics
2/18/21
Nikhilesh Chawla, Ransburg Professor, School of Materials Engineering
4D Materials Science - Probing Microstructural Evolution Through Time-Resolved Imaging
2/25/21
Sorin Adam Matei, Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Education, College of Liberal Arts, Professor of Communication, Brian Lamb School of Communication
Are scientists natural storytellers? Of course, they are!
3/4/21
David Cappelleri, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Microrobotics Research Highlights
3/11/21
Stylianos Chatzidakis, Assistant Professor, School of Nuclear Engineering
Versatile Monochromatic X-ray sources with Energy Tunability for Detection of Nuclear Materials
3/18/21
Reading Day
3/25/21
Tyler Tallman, Assistant Professor, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Research and applications at the intersection of multi-functional materials, non-invasive imaging, and inverse methods
4/1/21
Alex Chortos, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
4/8/21
Ajay Malshe, R. Eugene and Susie E. Goodson Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering
4/15/21
Suranjan Panigrahi, Professor Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology
4/22/21
Alejandro Strachan, Professor of Materials Engineering
4/29/21
Dead Week
5/6/21
Finals Week

Thanks!

Jaime Turner
Lead Administrative Assistant to the Director | Birck Nanotechnology Center
BRK | 1205 W State Street | West Lafayette, IN 47907
o: 765-494-3509<tel:7654943509> | m: 765-491-3064<tel:7654913064> | jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[83324AA6]<https://www.purdue.edu/>