[BNC-all] Birck Evaporator Safety Issue

Reger, Ronald K rreger at purdue.edu
Fri Sep 18 10:00:55 EDT 2020

Dear All Birck cleanroom users,

Yesterday we had a safety incident involving the CHA-1 evaporator.  As our engineer was working on the system and lowering the bell jar the hoist failed and the bell jar came down rapidly.  Thankfully he did not have any fingers or his arm inside the system so he was not injured.  This is obviously a safety issue so we have taken the CHA offline until we can get it repaired.  Additionally we've taking the other bell-jar evaporators offline until we can determine a mechanism for each that would prevent such an occurrence.  We will be working as quickly as possible to restore them to service, but not until we have a safe mechanism to prevent this on each of them.  We are consulting with other nanofabs and with internal Purdue experts for safety designs.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ron