[BNC-all] Birck Access, Critical research support

Shakouri, Ali shakouri at purdue.edu
Thu Mar 26 20:30:01 EDT 2020

Dear Birck Research Community,

In compliance with the Governor’s stay-at-home order, and EVPRP’s memo to continue only critical research during this pandemic quarantine period, this evening, effective 12 midnight, the Birck Nanotechnology Center is moving into LIMITED ACCESS. All toxic gases were shut off yesterday. We will stock supplies tomorrow Friday 3/27. After that the mail room will be shut down and we won't receive packages. We are also implementing additional restrictions so that most of the Birck staff members can work remotely from home and only critical research will be allowed in our facility. All critical research need to fill up the form on the EVPRP website AND email Birck leadership as explained in my message on Wednesday morning. Here are some additional details:

  *   For those who are doing critical research, if any additional laboratory supplies are needed, you need to order it directly since staff will not automatically re-stock supplies. Package delivery is through MMDC (see below).
  *   In general, staff members will not be available for training or equipment repair. If something is urgently needed for critical research, please let Ron Reger (rreger at purdue.edu<mailto:rreger at purdue.edu>) know. Please remember that we may not be able to support all activities.
  *   The critical research personnel in the building should continue to practice strict physical distancing and frequent hand sanitation.
  *   There is NO planned power outage so equipment can remain powered on in an idle mode. If it is possible to shut down equipment safely, it is recommended. It is always possible to have campus power outage beyond our control.
  *   Building access will be very restricted with only critical researchers and building staff having card-swipe access through the front door only.
  *   Periodic walk-throughs will be performed by selected staff members in order to watch our critical building and equipment systems.
  *   Bulk gas deliveries, including liquid nitrogen, will continue and staff members will refill LN2 dewars on a periodic basis.  For dewar fills please email Steve Jurss  (sejurss at purdue.edu<mailto:sejurss at purdue.edu>)
  *   Critical package deliveries during the shut-down should be coordinated by the receiving research team through Purdue MMDC (Materials Management & Distribution Center) or directly with the shipping company.

I hope everybody is staying healthy and well. Thank you for your understanding in these difficult times.  Please address questions to Mark, Ron and others in the leadership.

Best regards,
Ali

Ali Shakouri
Mary Jo and Robert L. Kirk Director
Professor of  Electrical and Computer Engineering
Birck Nanotechnology Center, Room 1027
Purdue University
1205 West State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057