[BNC-all] Fwd: COVID-19 Research Ramp-Down Checklist

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Mon Mar 23 19:03:10 EDT 2020

-------- Original message --------
From: Purdue Research <purdueresearch at purdue.edu>
Date: 3/23/20 6:36 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: COVID-19 Research Ramp-Down Checklist

March 23, 2020
Dear Colleagues:

We realize this is a difficult time for everyone in the Purdue research community.  We appreciate your dedication and creativity to advancing our research mission in a safe and responsible way during this unprecedented time, including a significant transition to remote work when possible.

Until now, the majority of our on-campus research laboratories have remained operational with all personnel following the latest social distancing and safety hygiene practices.  Today Governor Holcomb’s office released an executive order for Hoosiers to remain in their homes except when they are at work or for permitted activities, such as taking care of others, obtaining necessary supplies, and for health and safety.  The order provides an exception for “educational institutions . . . for purposes of  . . . performing critical research or performing essential functions,” provided that social distancing practices continue to be followed.  The order is in effect from March 25 until April 7.

With this new order, our research leaders should prepare for a transition that further limits work on the Purdue campus to critical research-related activities beginning on March 25.  Tomorrow morning, we will release Purdue’s definition of critical research-related activities, and provide a link to an online Critical On-Campus Research Continuity Request Form.

To assist with this process, we have attached a Research Laboratory Ramp-Down Checklist that you can use to ramp-down your experimental and computational research laboratories.  Not all of the items will be applicable to all of your laboratories.  Our laboratories include many different kinds of hazards.  Please ensure that all tasks are done carefully and with the correct personnel.  The Radiological and Environmental Management (REM<https://www.purdue.edu/ehps/rem/about/contactphp.php>) team is available to answer questions or provide assistance.

The latest COVID-19 guidance for our research community is available on the Purdue Research<https://www.purdue.edu/research/covid-19/> website.  The site is being updated regularly with current guidance and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) that we receive from Purdue researchers.  We understand that you are receiving many e-mail messages related to COVID-19 changes, and we are limiting our distribution to only the most important.  Please check the FAQs frequently.

Sincerely,

Theresa Mayer

Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships

Carol Shelby
Senior Director, Environmental Health and Public Safety