[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of January 21st

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Tue Jan 21 16:52:44 EST 2020

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4EDE9.DE5D5B10]

Seminars /Workshops / Events

BNC Seminar: Mark D. Soucek<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2581>

January 29th @ 11:00am in BRK 1001
In Search of More Sustainable Biomass Based Polymeric Materials

A practical guide to electrical characterization of materials at BNC<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2562>

February 4th, 9:00am - 3:00pm in BRK 1001

Register HERE<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfYfwMBUqi2lQPC2gGlYModKbBp7dUOxE_g7oGT6j28j1JZlA/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1>

BNC Seminar: Chris Leighton<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2582>

February 13th @ 10:30am in BRK 1001
Electrolyte Gating of Functional Materials

CALLING ALL BIRCK STUDENTS!!! Science Communication Shark Tank Competition - Sign Up<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2560>

February 18th, 5:30pm -7:30pm in BRK 1001

RSVP by Friday, Feb. 7th to Neil Dilley (ndilley at purdue.edu<mailto:ndilley at purdue.edu>)

2nd Annual Science Communication Shark Tank Competition<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2561>

March 26th,  5:30pm - 7:30pm in MRGN 121

Birck Events<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php> and Birck News<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/news/index.php>

MANDATORY ALL USER TRAINING (BNC 151)

Please visit  https://www.openpassport.org/Badge/bnc151-2020 /<https://www.openpassport.org/Badge/bnc151-2020%20/> to complete the mandatory all user training (BNC 151) by January 26th, 2020.  If you are a user of the facility and do not complete the all user training by this date cleanroom and laboratory access will be removed until the training is complete.

Stephen Jurss

Birck Safety Officer

BNC Research Equipment Power Outage for ALL GENERAL LABORATORY, SUBFAB AND CLEANROOM: WED., MAY 6TH 2020 FROM 10AM - 2PM

This is advance notice about major electrical power outage involving all research equipment in the center on Wednesday May 6 from 10AM to 2 PM.  Physical Facilities High Voltage Department have firmed up plans necessary to gain access and have parts needed to fix the switchboard #1 that supplies power to all research equipment in the center.  This involves all research equipment in ALL GENERAL LABORATORY, SUB FAB, AND  CLEANROOM.  All research equipment connected to our building wide Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) or generator power will NOT lose power during this time.

This work will be completed during our normal spring building preventative maintenance closure that is scheduled from Monday May 4 through Friday May 8, 2020.  More details on the preventative maintenance closure will be communicated as we get closer to May 4, 2020.

Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Mark Voorhis

Building Manager

Birck Nanotechnology Center
Office: (765) 494-3036

Jischke Drive Repairs - April - August, 2020

Project Overview

South Martin Jischke Drive from State Street to Harrison Street will be repaired next year, and utility work in the area will also occur. This section of South Martin Jischke Drive will be closed in phases while work is ongoing, and some adjacent sidewalk and ramps will be unavailable. We will be constructing a pedestrian "bump out" on the east and west side where the cross walks are located.  The bump out will improve pedestrian safety.  We will also be adding a short section of bike lane that will connect the existing bike lane that dead ends at the south end of Burton Morgan Dr. with bike lane at the corner of State and Jischke.

Project Schedule

While we are still in the design phase and the schedule is not yet final, we anticipate sidewalk repairs and utility work will begin in April 2020 with road closures beginning in May. Road work will be completed in two phases after spring commencement and before Boiler Gold Rush in August. The first phase will close northern half of the road from State Street to just south of the TERY parking lot entrance. This section will be reopened after repairs are complete, and then the remaining portion of South Jischke Drive from south of the TERY parking lot to Harrison Street will close for repairs. Access to TERY will be maintained throughout the project. Parking along Jischke will not be available during construction.

Our Request for Your Participation

To streamline feedback, occupants should communicate needs and concerns for April-August 2020 with their assigned building deputy. Topics may include, but are not limited to the following:

  *   Vehicular / pedestrian access from South Jischke Drive
  *   Parking - temporary accommodations during construction
  *   Operational needs such as deliveries (provide truck size and frequency)
  *   Visitors or summer conferences - access and communications that are needed for visitors
  *   Trash / recycle pick up, including current locations and potential summer options

Please communicate any needs and concerns with the appropriate assigned building deputy, see below.

  *   Steve Rudolph - MRGN, MANN sgrudolph at purdue.edu<mailto:sgrudolph at purdue.edu>
  *   Phil Austin - BIND pjaustin at purdue.edu<mailto:pjaustin at purdue.edu>
  *   Mary Jo Totten - BRK tottenm at purdue.edu<mailto:tottenm at purdue.edu>
  *   Eric Ridgley - DLR ewridgley at purdue.edu<mailto:ewridgley at purdue.edu>
  *   Stu Michael - DRUG michaesd at purdue.edu<mailto:michaesd at purdue.edu>

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

[Facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/nano.purdue.edu/>    [Twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/BNCPurdue>

***If you would like to share a Thank You/Kudos for a Birck staff, student or faculty who went above and beyond in the weekly news and atrium TV's please send to jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu> ***
***If you have any news items (published papers, research news, awards, honors) please send to jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu> so they may be included on Birck's website, Facebook and Twitter pages***

Jaime Turner
Administrative Assistant to the Director
Birck Nanotechnology Center | Room 1027 | W. Lafayette, IN
Office:  765.494.3509 | Fax: 765.496.8383 | Email: jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[facebook image]<https://www.facebook.com/nano.purdue.edu/>   [twitter image] <https://twitter.com/BNCPurdue>

[https://www.purdue.edu/brand/images/Purdue_University-150_Years_of_Giant_Leaps.png]
www.purdue.edu/giantleaps<http://www.purdue.edu/giantleaps>