[BNC-all] BNC E-news: December 7, 2020

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 7 16:57:26 EST 2020

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D685C3.FA345960]

Responding to COVID-19: Research Operations at Birck

https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/for-birck-users/covid/index.php

Seminars /Workshops / Events

PQSEI Seminar

December 9th, 2020 | 10:00am

Prof. Alberto Marino (Oklahoma)

Quantum Enhanced Sensing with Light<https://purdue0-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/stewartd_purdue_edu/EfRY6YfiqMtHmrv0_Qstu98BQc8hsldf-X6XSD43x7RTvA?e=fGaqLd>; Zoom Link<https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/94639398998#success>

Birck Events<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php> and Birck News<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/news/index.php>

Advanced Capabilities

[https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/facilities/equipment/images/PPMS%20DynaCool.jpg]<https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/display/BNCWiki/Quantum+Design+DynaCool+PPMS>Quantum Design DynaCool PPMS<https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/display/BNCWiki/Quantum+Design+DynaCool+PPMS>
NEW Capability: Heat Capacity Measurement

o    Temp: 1.8K – 400K

o    Magnetic field: up to 9 tesla

o    Bulk samples (typical weight ~mg)
Other capabilities include Magnetic, Electrical, and Thermal Transport
Location: Spin Lab (BRK 1157A)
Research Scientist: Neil Dilley
Please visit the Birck Wiki to learn about the wide array of fabrication<https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/display/BNCWiki/Fabrication> and characterization<https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/display/BNCWiki/Characterization> equipment at the facility

Important Shipping Information
From Purdue Export Control

Purdue Shipping will be NOT ship any items after Friday, December 18th until the new year (January 4 th).
All international shipments must be reviewed/approved by Export Control before 3pm on 12/18; therefore individuals must get their international shipments to MMDC no later than Thursday, December 17th.
If you know of anyone who is planning to ship, they will need to plan ahead.

Open Positions

Draper Labs:  Looking to hire ASAP, high experience in fab.  Applicants can be PostDocs, fresh PhDs or MS with experience.
https://careers-draper.icims.com/jobs/4922/principal-mems--photonics-microfabrication-engineer/job
EPFL’s School of Engineering: currently has an open (junior faculty) position in Integrated Transducers, https://www.epfl.ch/about/working/faculty-position-in-integrated-transducers/ and we are reaching out to the community to make colleagues aware of the open position and attract candidates. We aim in particular to increase the number of female faculty.
Research Fellow/Senior Research Associate (Research Officer) of ‘High performance Wide spectral range Nanoprobe (HiWiN)’ EPSRC project.” (see attached announcement)
Competitive salary in the range from £34,804 to £41,526 p.a. dependent on experience
Applications are invited from an experienced, ambitious and creative researcher in the field of experimental photonics, optical spectroscopy and/or scanning probe microscopy and scientific instrumentation. The successful applicant will work on the innovative world-leading project that targets
implementation and commissioning of a micro-to-nanoscale spectroscopic mapping and probing instrument as an EPSRC funded facility at the free electron laser (FEL) mid-infrared to THz light source at FELIX, Nijmegen.
Informal enquiries can be made by contacting Prof. Oleg Kolosov on o.kolosov at lancaster.ac.uk<mailto:o.kolosov at lancaster.ac.uk>
https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CCQ170/research‐fellow‐senior‐research‐associate‐researchofficer‐of‐high‐performance‐wide‐spectral‐range‐nanoprobe‐hiwin

Birck Safety Protocols

It is very gratifying to see our research community back ‘in business’ doing leading-edge research in our center after the long pause we all experienced this Spring.  But at the same time we want to remind our entire user group of the critical importance of following the COVID safety protocols while using our facilities.  If an outbreak of COVID exposures should happen at Birck there is a real possibility that we may need to close the facility again.  So please read and support the following…..

…..Some of our approved users are holding the doors open for others to enter the building.  This may very well be a gesture of politeness to assist another, but it also can be perceived that non-approved people are entering our building with the assistance of one of our approved users.  Additionally it does not allow us to have an accurate accounting of who is entering our building by evaluating card-swipe data.  So everyone should swipe into Birck and not be let in by someone holding the door open.

…..Face masks are required while in Birck.  Approved users have been, and continue to be, strongly encouraged to bring their own face mask for their personal use while in the facility.  At the entrances we have supplied quantities of disposable face masks for emergency use, but our supplies of these disposable masks are being depleted at the high rate of 300 – 400 masks per week.  This rate of use seems exceptionally high when personal masks are strongly recommended.  Please only take one mask from the supply, and only when you’ve forgotten your personal mask.

….Social distancing continues to be a challenge.  This is a difficult habit to develop and groups of people have been seen clustered around a tool, or having a hallway conversation, and not adhering to the 6’ spacing rule.  Please continue to maintain at least 6’ spacing between yourself and the nearest other person.

Please stay vigilant in promoting and supporting these safety protocols.  If we each do our part we will continue to stay open and conduct state-of-the-art research in our great facility.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

[Facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/nano.purdue.edu/>    [Twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/BNCPurdue>

***If you have any news items (published papers, research news, awards, honors) please send to jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu> so they may be included on Birck’s website, Facebook and Twitter pages***

Jaime Turner
Lead Administrative Assistant to the Director | Birck Nanotechnology Center
BRK | 1205 W State Street | West Lafayette, IN 47907
o: 765-494-3509<tel:7654943509> | m: 765-491-3064<tel:7654913064> | jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[83324AA6]<https://www.purdue.edu/>