[BNC-all] Return of BNC E-news: August 10, 2020

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Mon Aug 10 16:31:32 EDT 2020

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D5F5FF.7D67ADF0]

Responding to COVID-19: Research Operations at Birck

https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/for-birck-users/covid/index.php

Training

Equipment training is now available under COVID restrictions.  To receive any equipment-specific training which typically requires less than 6' distancing due to the interactive nature of training, the trainer and trainee must follow this protocol:

  1.  Only 1-on-1 training is being conducted at this time.  We can't have more than one person being trained due to the increased risk of exposure with multiple trainees.
  2.  This applies to all equipment training..... not just cleanroom process equipment, but also Electron Microscopy, Optics, Surface Analysis, Lab equipment, etc.
  3.  Enhanced PPE must be worn.  In the cleanroom this is an additional face shield on the trainer and trainee (trainee at the discretion of the trainer).  In labs this enhanced PPE includes face shield, lab coat, gloves and face mask.
  4.  iLabs is being used to request training for the individual tools.  As before the pandemic, we're using iLabs training requests to manage training.  Trainees are being taken on a first-come first-serve basis.

Planning for Possible COVID Exposure

In the unfortunate event of a COVID-19 exposure within Birck we're developing plans to shut down specific areas within the building.  A matrix is being developed that lists each lab, how long it would be down, and who is responsible for ensuring the scientific instruments are de-contaminated appropriately.  We hope we will never need this, but it is good to have a plan just in case.  Birck and Bindley are developing similar plans and are well ahead of the planning curve.

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Ron Reger

REMINDER: Staff-Only Time in Cleanroom

This is just a reminder that the hours of 6:00 am - 10:00 am, M-F, are reserved for Birck staff only to work in the cleanroom.  This allows proper de-densification of the cleanroom for the staff to perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, repair, process checks, and other staff duties.  Users/researchers are welcome to enter the cleanroom at 10:00 am M-F, and anytime on the weekends.  Thank you for supporting the staff in creating a safe cleanroom working environment.

Ron Reger

Seminars /Workshops / Events

ECE Web-Seminar: Mohit Verma<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2894>

Thursday, August 13,2020
WEBEX MEETING
https://purdue.webex.com/join/bhave  |  649 461 992

Birck Events<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php> and Birck News<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/news/index.php>

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

[Facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/nano.purdue.edu/>    [Twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/BNCPurdue>

***If you would like to share a Thank You/Kudos for a Birck staff, student or faculty who went above and beyond in the weekly news and atrium TV's please send to jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu> ***
***If you have any news items (published papers, research news, awards, honors) please send to jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu> so they may be included on Birck's website, Facebook and Twitter pages***

Jaime Turner
Lead Administrative Assistant to the Director | Birck Nanotechnology Center
BRK | 1205 W State Street | West Lafayette, IN 47907
o: 765-494-3509<tel:7654943509> | m: 765-491-3064<tel:7654913064> | jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[83324AA6]<https://www.purdue.edu/>