[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of June 3rd

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Tue Jun 4 08:33:47 EDT 2019

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4EDE9.DE5D5B10]

Seminars /Workshops / Events

BNC Seminar - Professor David G. Cahill

Current Understanding and Unsolved Problems in Thermal Transport at the Nanoscale<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2112>

June 5th, 2019 @ 11:00am in BRK 1001

Birck Events<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=1835> and Birck News<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/news/index.php>

Birck Nanotechnology Center Closure from June 10, 2019 @ 7am to June 18, 2019 @ 4pm

The Birck Nanotechnology Center will be undergoing a closure involving major electrical repairs, chemical exhaust modification, and completion of our semi-annual preventive maintenance from June 10 through June 18, 2018.

Three major tasks will happen during this closure. 1) Required repair of our 3000 amp building power feed that failed on February 3 requiring a shutdown of all building HVAC systems, anticipated to last 2-3 hours to repair.  2) A capital project integration of the cleanroom chemical exhaust system involves cutting into the cleanroom chemical exhaust in four locations to connect 20,000 CFM exhaust system involving a complete rebalance of the cleanroom static pressure, anticipated to last 3-5 days. 3) Finally complete the normal spring preventive maintenance activities, anticipated to last 2-3 days.

Air handling systems, exhaust systems, toxic gas delivery, and monitoring systems will be down beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, June 10 through 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 18.  The BNC staff will be performing appropriate preventive maintenance on the process equipment at this time as well.

All CLEANROOM research work will be suspended until repairs and modification activities are completed and all systems are returned to normal.  Only authorized personnel will be allowed to enter the cleanroom during this time period.

In addition, the laboratory areas will also be affected by this systems maintenance.  As such, all LABORATORY activities that involve exhausted hoods, vacuum systems, and/or toxic gas systems will be down beginning 7 a.m. Monday, June 10 through 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 18.  However, work that involves taking standard electrical measurements may be carried out in the LABS provided that fluctuating air temperature and humidity do not affect the readings.  No chemical work will be allowed during this period.

It is anticipated that the building and process tool maintenance will be completed by the end of the day on Tuesday, June 18.  Please check iLabs for equipment status and availability.

For long term research planning please refer the following future dates for our future preventive maintenance closures.

                                                Week of Oct 14, 2019      Spring  May 4, 2020

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these important closures.  Please contact me if you need more detailed information.

Mark Voorhis

Building Manager

Birck Nanotechnology Center

Search for Birck Associate Directors for Operation and for Research
As you may know, Dana Weinstein will be Associate Dean for Graduate Education in College of Engineering starting in July and Yong Chen is the Director of the New Purdue Quantum Science and Engineering Institute. I would like to think sincerely Dana and Yong for their great support and outstanding service.
We are launching an internal search to identify individuals with demonstrated leadership and vision for the positions of Associate Director for Operations and the Associate Director for Research. The Associate Directors should be members of the Purdue Faculty with the rank of tenured Associate or Full Professor.

Nominations/applications should be submitted by email to Jaime Turner at jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu> by June 7th. The applications should include a letter of interest that outlines qualifications for the position, curriculum vitae, and the name of three references. Additional details are provided in the attached documents.

Ali Shakouri

REMINDER: Discovery Park Residential Faculty and Staff Parking Spaces
As a reminder the primary purpose of the Discovery Park designated spaces is to accommodate Discovery Park staff/faculty who have responsibilities that require them to commute to and from Discovery Park during working hours. Those individuals not required to commute are strongly encouraged to use alternate parking spaces whenever possible. This permit is property of Discovery Park and is issued/revoked at their discretion.

Birck Nanotechnology Center - Replacement of the Peeling Exterior Panels

[cid:image005.png at 01D51AB0.366D59C0]

Scrubbing and Waxing

Continued summer Scrub and Wax

Please note that the following rooms will be scrubbed and waxed on the following dates.  Make sure that all of you computers and boxes are up off of the floor.  This is a big project, so if you don't move your items, we will skip over you till next year.

June 4th - 1076 & 1080

June 5th - 1084 & 1088

June 6th - 1092

June 19th - 1238 & 1234

June 20th - 1230 & 1226

June 21st - 1222

Please come to Mary Jo with any questions.

BINDLEY Hallway Cleaning Schedule
June 13th from 5 - 9:30 AM  (Closed to all) - BIND I
 2nd floor hallway from the kitchenette to the Brick Skywalk doors and from BIND I wooden door to BIND II wooden door (by the elevator).
The stairs and elevator will be out of commission during this time.
Please find an alternative routes to take during the hallway closures.
Susan McCreery

Copper Moon Summer Hours
Copper Moon Coffee, located at the Burton D. Morgan Center has new summer hours and are now open from 7:30 am - 2:00 pm. Please remember that they can accommodate large shuttle coffee orders for any event close to Burton Morgan. Please stop by and touch base with Copper Moon staff if you're interested and check out the attached current menu.

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D51AB0.366D59C0]