[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of October 16

Willison, Sheryl L swilliso at purdue.edu
Fri Oct 13 14:17:37 EDT 2017

[BIRCK NANOTECHNOLOGY CENTER][http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/resources/toolkit/files/logo/digital/Logo-949x222.png]

Birck Nanotechnology Center PM Shut Down Notice

October 16, 2017 – October 20, 2017
The Birck Nanotechnology Center will be undergoing a semi-annual preventive maintenance and
service shutdown October 16 through October 20, 2017. Air handling systems, exhaust systems,
toxic gas delivery, and monitoring systems will be down beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, October 16
through 4 p.m. Friday, October 20. The BNC staff will be performing appropriate preventive

maintenance on the process equipment at this time as well.  See posted information.

Mark Voorhis

​<https://www.donorpoint.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/110584>

Graduate Research Assistantship Opportunity:

Deposited Gate Oxides for SiC MOSFETs
A graduate research assistantship is available in the area of silicon carbide metal-oxide-semiconductor
(MOS) devices. SiC is a wide bandgap semiconductor with a high critical field, making it an exciting material for power electronic devices. SiC MOSFETs are now commercially available, but do not yet achieve their full potential. Our group is approaching this problem from several directions, including a new device geometry inspired by modern FinFETs, the adaptation of IGBTs and super-junctions for use in SiC

devices, as well as alternative gate insulator fabrication methods.  If interested send email to morisett at purdue.edu<mailto:morisett at purdue.edu>

Status of laboratories link:
http://status.iLab.agilent.com

NSAC Coffee Hour

Each Friday

3:30 pm in BRK Atrium

https://engineering.purdue.edu/NSAC/activities/coffeehour

NSAC Journal Club

October 18, 24, 31

4:30 PM BNC Atrium

Purdue FedEx account ending in (8595)

Please be advised that due to a large volume of fraudulent charges appearing on the current Purdue FedEx account ending in (8595), we are changing our Purdue FedEx account number. With this change, we will no longer be using or supplying FedEx pre-printed paper airway bills on campus. These steps are being taken to decrease the visibility of Purdue’s new FedEx account. We are requiring that you return any pre-printed airway bills to the MMDC shipping office.

For those whose have been using paper FedEx air way bills, you can use the Form 23-Domestic or Form 23” International found at www.purdue.edu/materials<http://www.purdue.edu/materials> and under the forms tab.

We are also requiring that all users who currently create their FedEx shipping labels online to go in and change their password.

All packages sent with the old airway bills using the old account number ending in (8595) will be stopped by FedEx beginning 10/13/17 and will require an additional charge to be released.

If you have any questions about this change or the Form 23, please contact the MMDC shipping room at 765-494-7103 or email them at MMDCshipping at purdue.edu<mailto:MMDCshipping at purdue.edu>.

Please note that with this change, we will no longer be able to give you a Fed-Ex number to have items shipped.

FYI: Please be advised that the Andrew Place entrance (Gate #3) will be closed beginning Monday, October 16th  at 7AM through Friday, December 15th to facilitate relocating the equipment.   The entrance lanes on the south end of the garage will remain open.  These lanes are accessible from N. Grant St. and State St. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.  Please contact Parking Facilities at 765-494-9497 if you have any questions.

Seminars/Workshops

Cell Culture Basics – 2 Days Hands-On Training Course
October 26 & 27
Deadline for registration is Oct. 6, 2017
and
November 16 & 17
Deadline for registration is Oct. 27, 2017
Course fee: $250
Questions Dr. Tim Kwok at kwokt at purdue.edu<mailto:kwokt at purdue.edu> or 765-494-6697

Distinguished Research Awards Lecture Series
October 30 in Fowler Hall, Stewart Center
Michele R. Buzon presents at 10:30 am
Mikhail J. Atallah presents at 1:30 p.m.
Jean A. Chmielewski presents at 3:30 p.m.
http://www.purdue.edu/research/awards/overview.php

Thermo-electric transport in nanowires and nanostructures
Ruben Chavez, Post-Doctoral Research Associate Department of Applied Physics, University of Technology Eindhoven
October 27, 2017 @ 4:00 pm
BRK 2001
http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=1130

Bioelectronic Devices for Personalized and Precision Medicine: From Wearable Biosensors to Medical Nanorobots
Wei Gao, Assistant Professor of Medical Engineering, California Institute of Technology
November 13
2:00 p.m.
BRK 1001
http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=1129