[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of July 3rd

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Fri Jun 30 09:13:54 EDT 2017

RA position at Birck
SEM and FIB assistance:

The Birck Nanotechnology Center is looking for a Grad student with some electron microscopy knowledge to assist 20 hrs a week with the SEM and FIB facilities.

The responsibilities are not limited to:

1.       Manage the acquisition of samples and analysis instructions from Birck users

2.       Sample imaging and EDX chemical analysis through SEM (S-4800)

3.       Sample preparation using lift out method using FIB

4.       Training new users in lift out with the FIB Quanta

5.       Training new users in SPI sputter coater

The candidate will be trained in all these techniques by a staff member.
If interested, please contact Rosa E Diaz (rdiazri at purdue.edu<mailto:rdiazri at purdue.edu>) for more details.

Tote Dividers
Beginning this week the Supply Store here at Birck is carrying dividers for cleanroom storage totes. These dividers are used to separate and maximize space in the gray storage bins and can be purchased from Lorraine Fox during her office hours.
Feel free to direct any concerns or questions about the tote rack policy changes to Sean Rinehart at srinehar at purdue.edu<mailto:srinehar at purdue.edu>.

Important Grad Office Notices:

1.       In an effort to make Birck look its best we would like to dedicate 4 weeks this summer, 1 week for each grad hallway, to be a cleanup week!

What does this mean??  Each grad hallway will be designated a week starting June 26th and ending July 28th to clean up their offices;  get rid of trash, old boxes, old files,  electronics, appliances, etc.  Our janitorial staff will put trash and recycling bins outside of your offices the week your hallway is assigned to do cleanup!  Also during your assigned week, you can put any unused electronics (computers, monitors) and appliances (small refrigerators, coffee makers) in the hallway and our janitorial staff will take them away to be sent to Purdue surplus!

Please work with your office mates to get your area cleaned up and looking nice!  We will be checking on progress during these weeks to see if there is anything, we can help with/give advice on.  If you have any questions on something should go or not, please feel free to ask!

The schedule for each hallways cleanup week is below, let's make Birck look the best it can!!

*         July 10th - 14th

     *   West Wing 1st floor hallway: Offices: BRK 1226, BRK 1230, BRK 1234, BRK 1238, and BRK 1287

*         July 17th - 21st

     *   East Wing 2nd floor hallway: Offices: BRK 2072, BRK 2076, BRK 2080, BRK 2084, BRK 2088, BRK 2027 and BRK 2027C

*         July 24th - 28th

     *   West Wing 2nd floor hallway: Offices: BRK 2218, BRK 2222, BRK 2226, BRK 2230, BRK 2234 and BRK 2238

Thank you!!!
Jaime Turner

Seminars/Workshops

Spin-Orbitronics: A Route to Control Magnets via Spin-Orbit Interaction

Dr. Pramey Upadhyaya from UCLA

Thursday, July 6

10:30 AM

WANG 1004

NovaCentrix Seminar

Dr. Rudresh Ghosh, Applications Engineer

Tuesday, July 25

11:00 am - 12:00 pm

BRK 2001

http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php

Cell Culture Basics - 2 Days Hands on Training Course
10:00 AM -3:10 APM
Course fee: $250
Deadline for registration is July 7, 2017
Questions Dr. Tim Kwok at kwokt at purdue.edu<mailto:kwokt at purdue.edu> or 765-494-6697

Safe and Secure Systems and Software Symposium (S5)
Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)
August 1-3, 2017
http://www.mys5.org/index.php

Congratulations
Dimitrios Peroulis, a professor of electrical and computer engineering and deputy director of the Birck Nanotechnology Center, will participate in the U.S. Frontiers of Engineering Symposium on Sept. 25-27 in East Hartford, Connecticut. The event is for young engineers who are performing exceptional engineering research and technical work in a variety of disciplines. Participants are nominated by fellow engineers or organizations. The event covers developments in four areas: Mega-Tall Buildings and Other Future Places of Work, Unraveling the Complexity of the Brain, Energy Strategies to Power Our Future, and Machines That Teach Themselves.

Links<http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/purduetoday/releases/2017/Q2/human-resources-announces-new-benefit-enrollment-system-action-requested.html> for new Benefit enrollment and Renewal of Parking Permits

1.       http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/purduetoday/releases/2017/Q2/human-resources-announces-new-benefit-enrollment-system-action-requested.html

2.       http://www.purdue.edu/parking/