[BNC-all] E-news for the week of October 31st

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 31 08:38:02 EDT 2016

Seminar

Ying Diao
Thursday, December 1st at 1:30 pm
Birck Nanotechnology Center room 1001
For more information please visit: https://nanohub.org/groups/bnc/calendar/details/1509

Reminder of Fume Hood Work Requirements
Since Ira's retirement, there have been a number of cases of users not adhering to facility safety and cleanliness rules, particularly in the lithography hoods.
As a reminder:

*         Chemical safety goggles are required any time you're within the yellow striped line around fume hoods

*         Your head should never be in a fume hood when anyone is doing wet chemistry

*         All solvent/developer bottles need to be returned to their proper storage location when you're finished with them, even if you didn't find them in their proper location

Additional Vented Waste Can Installed

As a follow-up to an input from a few weeks ago, where a user commented that the waste cans near the photolithography bay were producing unpleasant fumes, we procured a vented waste can and installed it in that area.  Now there are two covered cans with exhausted vents in that bay, so please use these cans for any waste that includes photoresist and/or solvent materials so fumes may be exhausted away through the cleanroom exhaust system.  Note there are still two cans in that location with no exhaust so please be sure to use those cans only for dry, non-volatile waste.

Hot-Plate Exhaust Snorkels

You may have noticed new snorkel-like exhaust lines installed individually over the hot plates in the aligner bay.  These are connected to our house exhaust to evacuate evolved fumes from wafers being baked on the hot plates and this should alleviate the solvent scents that have occasionally been noticed in the area.  Special thanks to Mike Fenters, our sheet metal tradesman who designed, fabricated, and installed the exhausted snorkels.