[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of March 7th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Mar 4 14:03:08 EST 2016

100X Objective Outside the Cleanroom
BIRCK CLOSURE
E-Beam Lithography
REFRIGERATOR

Room Changes

Seminar
Travel
iTap Shutdown

100X Objective Outside the Cleanroom
A user asked if an optical microscope with 100X lens was available outside the cleanroom, which would be convenient for doing work on samples without gowning up.  We have an Olympus microscope, now in the new J-Bay characterization lab, but it only goes up to 50X.  We're getting quotes for a 100X objective and will compare the cost to the income generated by the scope on recharge to see if this purchase would be feasible.  Thanks for the suggestion.

BIRCK CLOSURE
NOTICE: The BNC will be completely closed for one day on March 17, 2016 from 12:01AM to 11PM.
Only people involved in the shutdown will be allowed in the building during the shutdown. All offices, laboratories, and the cleanroom will be closed.  All chemicals and research inside fume hoods will need to be placed in closed containers prior to March 17, 2016 from 12:01AM

This is an advance notice on March 17, 2016 from 6AM to 9PM Purdue Physical Facilities Department will complete an emergency power interruption to fix a high voltage power issue with our center's fire pump controller.

Per safety codes, power to the fire pump transfer/control was hardwired directly from the electrical substation to the fire panel when the building was constructed. This wiring bypasses our main switchboard and provides no lockout point for the fire panel.  Therefore, for safety reasons the electric substation providing power to the fire pump has to be shutdown. The affected substation also supplies power to one of the building's three, 3000 amp switchboards.  Only essential personnel will have access to the building during the power outage since the building will be without fire protection during that time.

All CLEANROOM and LABORATORY research work will be suspended and building access closed during power outage.  All exhausted hoods, vacuum systems, and/or toxic gas systems will be shut down, and chemicals inside fume hoods will need to be placed in closed containers prior to March 17, 2016 from 12:01AM.

General areas that will be affected by the power outage are listed below.
-          All chemical exhaust systems for the labs and cleanroom.
-          Building ambient temperature and humidity control
o   Offices
o   General laboratories
o   Cleanroom
o   Atrium
-          Office power and lighting (all computers will lose power)
-          Atrium power and lighting
-          Card reader system

Systems NOT affected by the power outage are listed below.
-          Emergency power (on emergency generator power)
-          UPS power (on emergency generator power)
-          Equipment emergency power (on emergency generator power)
-          Cleanroom research equipment power (power from a different switchboard)
-          Laboratory research equipment power (power from a different switchboard)

Mark Voorhis
Building Manager
Office: (765) 494-3036

E-Beam Lithography
A user suggested we purchase an additional 100KV EBL system for use in the cleanroom.  We're actively pursuing options with EBL suppliers to understand our options and costs associated with a new and better system.  In the meantime, the VB6 has enjoyed several months of good uptime, and we anticipate this will continue as several issues have been found and fixed over many months of service work and system improvements.

REFRIGERATOR
Everything from the refrigerator and freezer in the kitchen will be trashed at 8 AM March 18. Since the power is off we have no way to determine if the food stayed cold so it will have to be trashed. Take it home before the 17th if you do not want it trashed. Questions or concerns please see Nancy Black.

Room Changes

In order to accommodate Nano Days several meetings had to be moved to different locations. All the times are the same but please note the new room and building.

Prof. Garimella Group Meeting - April 13 moved from BRK 1001 to MRGN 129

MicroICE Meeting - April 13 - moved from BRK 1099 to BRK 2290

Birck Orientation - April 14 - moved from BRK 1099 to BRK 2290

INDEX - April 14 - moved from BRK 1099 to BRK 1024

Prof. Qi Group Meeting - April 14 - moved from BRK 1201 to BRK 1290

Prof. Shakouri Group Meeting - April 14 - moved from BRK 1201 to BRK 2024

Prof. Shalaev Group Meeting - April 15 - moved from BRK 2001 to MANN 203

Yuchen Du Preliminary Exam - April 15 - moved from BRK 2001 to MRGN 206

Prof. Peroulis Group Meeting - April 15 - moved from BRK 2001 to MRGN 206

iLab Implementation Team - April 15 - moved from BRK 1001 to MRGN 206

Prof. Savran Group Meeting - April 15 - moved from BRK 1001 to DLRC 143A

SMART Film Meeting - April 15 - moved from BRK 1001 to DLRC 143A

Seminar
Shunsuke Murai Seminar
Monday, March 7th at 10:00 am in Birck 2001
Plasmonic Array to Tailor the Emission
For more information please visit: https://nanohub.org/groups/bnc/calendar/details/1441

Travel
As a reminder you must submit a trip request into Concur before traveling on official Purdue business. If you do not know how to do this please ask.

iTap Shutdown

WORK TO BE PERFORMED: From 12:00 AM to 1:00 AM on Friday, 3/11/16, the ITaP Data Networks Team will be performing scheduled work that will impact the campus Firewall System.

AFFECTED CLIENTS: The following campus departments and services will be impacted by this maintenance:

1.    AGIT

2.    BBC (Bindley Bio Center)

3.    BIO (Biology)

4.    COP (College of Pharmacy)

5.    ECN

6.    General NAT Service for 10.X address space

7.    IDAP

8.    ITCR Labs and TIC sites

9.    KRAN (School of Management)

10.    ITIS NetMgmt

11.    USDA

12.    IT Video (STEW Broadcast studios)

13.    VoIP

14.    Wireless

SCOPE OF WORK:  Affected Client(s) should plan for a 1-minute network outage to occur at some point during the scheduled outage window for services running through the campus firewall.

If you have any questions or concerns about this work please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks much.

Duane

Duane Kyburz, Network Engineer

Purdue University - ITaP, IT Infrastructure Services

Data Networks Team

Office:   765-496-8226

Mobile:  765-490-4755

Fax:      765-494-6620