[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of Feb. 22nd

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 19 13:50:23 EST 2016

SEMINAR
SYSTEM OUTAGE
VB-6

Seminar
As Co-chair of the 2016 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) for Noble Metal Nanoparticles, it is my pleasure to invite your department's graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and other scientists with comparable levels of experience and education to participate in this seminar by submitting an abstract for a research poster or an oral presentation. The seminar will take place at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, MA during the weekend of June 14-15, 2016.

The GRS program is a series of highly successful and unique opportunities for early career scientists to discuss their current research and build informal networks with their peers that may lead to a lifetime of collaboration and scientific achievement. Each seminar is held in conjunction with a related Gordon Research Conference (GRC) and takes place the weekend immediately prior to the GRC. Topics for this seminar include nanoparticle synthesis, biomedicine, catalysis, and plasmonics.

The deadline to apply for an oral presentation is March 18, 2016. The deadline to apply for a poster presentation is May 21, 2016. Spots are limited, so we encourage applicants to submit their abstracts early.

The application form includes is an option to apply for the related GRC, which we highly encourage for faculty and students alike. Just visit the website below and select 'Online Application' in the top right corner:
http://www.grc.org/programs.aspx?id=15374

If you would like more information or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or my fellow chairs, Amanda Goodman (amanda.m.goodman at rice.edu<mailto:amanda.m.goodman at rice.edu>) and Chris DeSantis (cjd7 at rice.edu<mailto:cjd7 at rice.edu>).

Best regards,

Lisa V. Brown
Energy Research Group
NIST Center for Nanoscale Science & Technology

Office: 301-975-4557
Lab: 301-975-4280
Cell: 713-256-0178
lisa.brown at nist.gov<mailto:lisa.brown at nist.gov>
http://www.nist.gov/cnst/brown.cfm

System Outage
Notification of Scheduled Campus Firewall Services System Outage - ITaP Change Management RFC #5663

WORK TO BE PERFORMED: From 12:00 AM to 1:00 AM on Thursday, 2/25/16, the ITaP Data Networks Team will be performing scheduled work that will impact the campus Firewall System.

AFFECTED CLIENTS: The following campus departments and services will be impacted by this maintenance:

1.    AGIT

2.    BBC (Bindley Bio Center)

3.    BIO (Biology)

4.    COP (College of Pharmacy)

5.    ECN

6.    General NAT Service for 10.X address space

7.    IDAP

8.    ITCR Labs and TIC sites

9.    KRAN (School of Management)

10.    ITIS NetMgmt

11.    USDA

12.    IT Video (STEW Broadcast studios)

13.    VoIP

14.    Wireless

SCOPE OF WORK:  Affected Client(s) should plan for a 1-minute network outage to occur at some point during the scheduled outage window for services running through the campus firewall.

If you have any questions or concerns about this work please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks much.

Duane

===============================

Duane Kyburz, Network Engineer

Purdue University - ITaP, IT Infrastructure Services

Data Networks Team

Office:   765-496-8226

Mobile:  765-490-4755

Fax:      765-494-6620

Email:   storm at purdue.edu<mailto:storm at purdue.edu>

VB-6

In this week's survey a user expressed frustration with VB-6 uptime and availability, suggesting that we acquire a second EBL tool to supplement the VB-6 when it is down.  There continues to be active discussions on the correct strategy for Birck in terms of e-beam lithography tools and capabilities.  This is not an easy decision as these tools typically cost more than $2M, so the decision has to be weighed carefully.  We don't expect a direction to be established in the near term, but deliberations are now ongoing.  Recently the Birck VB-6 has enjoyed a good period of uptime, and we're working with Raith/Vistec to continue to diagnose and fix the cause of random gun trips.