[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of Sept. 28th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Sep 25 10:08:47 EDT 2015

Process Support in the Cleanroom

Dr. Nithin Raghunathan has joined our Birck staff to provide processing services, support, consultation, and mentoring.  Nithin has several years' experience in MEMS and other micro- and nano-processing so please consult with him for process questions and discussion.  In addition we have had several new user process meetings recently.  If you're a new user in the cleanroom please schedule a new user process meeting with Kenny Schwartz, kfschwar at purdue.edu<mailto:kfschwar at purdue.edu>.  These meetings are very productive and include a number of the engineering staff members who help guide users to the proper equipment and process recipes.

New Touch Screens

You have probably noticed the nice new 70" touch screens installed in our conference rooms.  These are high-tech screens that provide much more capability than just being monitors on which to display PowerPoint and other information from laptops, tablets, and phones.  We are learning how they work now, and if anyone has had previous experience with them please contact Mike Bayless, mbayless at purdue.edu<mailto:mbayless at purdue.edu>, so that we can accelerate the learning process.

Reminder:  Please Don't Store Chemicals in Cleanroom Totes

This week we found PMMA stored in a user's cleanroom tote.  Please remember that no chemicals are to be stored in totes.  This includes all chemicals such as acids, bases, solvents, photoresists, developers, etc.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

VB-6

The VB-6 is up and ready for processing.  Vacuum issues, robot control problems, and gun trips have been fixed and we've released it for processing.

Remote Source Material Listing

A user suggested that source materials for the evaporators be listed not only on the upper atrium display, but also somewhere in Coral or on-line.  We believe this is an excellent suggestion as it will allow users to remotely check which source materials are available at any given time.  Coral will be replaced sometime in the future with a more capable equipment scheduling system and this will be an ideal place to put such information.

Scott-Gross Gases and Equipment
Representatives from Scott-Gross Gases and Equipment will provide a 50 minute presentation about handling compressed gases and cylinders, followed by questions and discussion, at the four times/dates shown here.   All groups storing or using compressed gas are encouraged to sign up and send a representative while space is available.  Sessions will be closed when/if registration reaches 25 attendees.  Direct questions to Linda Swihart (swihart at purdue.edu<mailto:swihart at purdue.edu>).

Tuesday Sep 29, two sessions
   BRWN 4102 9:00A - 11:00A
   BRWN 4102 2:00P - 4:00P

Wednesday Sep 20, two sessions
   BRWN 4102 9:00A - 11:00A
   BRWN 4102 2:00P - 4:00P

For more information and registration form see
https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/SafetySeminarsWorkshops.php

NEEDS Seminar
J.A. del Alamo
Nanometer-Scale III-V Electronics: from Quantum-Well Planar MOSFETs to Vertical Nanowire MOSFETs
Tuesday, September 29th at 10:30 am in MRGN 121
For more information please contact Prof. Mark Lundstrom

Discovery Lecture Series featuring Paul Nunes
Big Bang Disruption: Strategy in the Age of Devastating Innovation
Wednesday, October 7th at 1:30 pm
MRGN 121
For more information: https://nanohub.org/groups/bnc/calendar/details/1378

PM Shut Down Notice 10.19 - 10.23

The Birck Nanotechnology Center will be undergoing a semi-annual preventive maintenance and service shutdown October 19 through October 23, 2015. Air handling systems, exhaust systems, toxic gas delivery, and monitoring systems will be down beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, October 19 through 4 p.m. Friday, October 23. The BNC staff will be performing appropriate preventive maintenance on the process equipment at this time as well.

All CLEANROOM research work will be suspended until the maintenance activities are completed and all systems are returned to normal. No one will be allowed to enter the cleanroom during this time period.

In addition, the laboratory areas will also be affected by this systems maintenance. As such, all LABORATORY activities that involve exhausted hoods, vacuum systems, and/or
toxic gas systems will be down beginning 7 a.m. Monday, October 19 through 4 p.m. Friday, October 23. However, work that involves taking standard electrical measurements
may be carried out in the LABS provided that fluctuating air temperature and humidity do not affect the readings. No chemical work will be allowed during this period.

It is anticipated that the building and process tool maintenance will be completed by the end of the day on Friday, October 23. Please check Coral for equipment status and
availability.

For long term research planning please refer the following future dates for our future preventive maintenance shutdowns.

Spring PM: May 2, 2016 Fall PM Oct 17, 2016
Spring PM: May 1, 2017 Fall PM Oct 16, 2017

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these important preventive maintenance shutdowns.

Thank you,

Heather L Anthrop
Secretary V
(765) 494 - 7053