[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of November 16th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Nov 13 15:14:53 EST 2015

Bicycles
Flexible Substrates in the Airco E-Beam Evaporator
Floor waxing
Health & Wellness Fair
Seminar

Bicycles
Bicycles are not allowed in the building.  This is a campus wide rule.  Even with the weather turning cold, you must park your bikes in the bike rack in front of Birck.
7.03 SPECIAL UNIVERSITY REGULATIONS
(a) Bicycles may be parked on campus only in bicycle racks and on bicycle pads provided specifically for this purpose. Motorcycles are not allowed in bicycle parking areas. Bicycles must be ridden on designated campus drives and bike paths. Any bicycles found in violation of these regulations may be removed and/or ticketed with a violation notice.

Flexible Substrates in the Airco E-Beam Evaporator

We continue to receive a high number of requests from multiple research groups to evaporate standard materials onto flexible substrates of various kinds, such as polyimides, polymers, and flexible roll materials.  Because of the nature of these materials, they typically outgas during deposition in our systems so we have restricted flexible substrates to be used in the Varian only.  (Base pressures in systems with flexible substrates are higher).  However we have had such a high number of requests that we're now going to offer the Airco evaporator as an alternate system for evaporating materials onto flexible substrates.

Effective Monday, November 30th the Airco evaporator will become the second e-beam system in which flexible substrates are allowed.  We believe that by offering two e-beam systems for flexible substrates we will be able to accommodate more users more efficiently.

Please let us know if you have any issues or concerns.

Kenny Schwartz
Dave Lubelski

Floor waxing
We are going to try and finish up stripping and waxing the hallways in Birck before the snow comes.  Next week we will be working on the 2nd floor west wing hallways.  If you have an office, you will not be able to have access to your office until 10:00AM that day.  If you need access to a lab, please remember you can use the galley doors for access.  Below is the schedule:

Monday - BRK 2217 - 2239  (Includes grad students offices)
Tuesday - BRK 2261 - 2283
Wednesday - BRK 2251 (All the far west hallway!  You will not be able to use the west elevator or west stairwell)
Friday - BRK 2287-2295

Thank you,

Mary Jo Totten
Birck Nanotechnology Center
Discovery Park/Purdue University
1205 West State Street  BRK 1220
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057
(765) 496-1173

Health & Wellness Fair
Engineering Graduate Students
Gather information on valuable resources (physical, mental, social, environmental, and financial health) that can be found on Purdue's campus!
Tuesday, November  17th 11:30 am - 1:30 pm
ARMS Atrium

Seminar
Dr. Jonathan Sun
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Spin Torque Materials, Devices, and Systems - Opportunities and Challenges
Monday, November 16th at 9:15 am in room EE 317
For more information please visit: http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/events/view.php?id=1992

Dr. Atif Shamim
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
RF SoC and SoP: Enabling Platforms for Miniaturized, Low Cost and Flexible Electronics
Tuesday, November 17th at 1:00 pm in WANG 1004
For more information please visit: http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/events/view.php?id=1994

Sridhar Sadasivam
Purdue University
Nanoscale Thermal/Thermoelectric Energy Conversion (NT-TEC) Seminar
Electron-Phonon Coupling and Thermal Transport Across Metal-Semiconductor Interfaces
Thursday, November 19th at Noon in Birck 1001

Dr. Andrei G. Fedorov
Walking the Feynman's Talk - Using Focused Electron Beam for Direct-Write Nanofabrication of CNT, Graphene and Graphene Oxide Electronic Devices
Wednesday, November 25th at 10:00 am in Birck 2001
For more information please visit: http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/events/view.php?id=1993