[BNC-all] Birck Center's 10th anniversary, Oct. 30

Shakouri, Ali shakouri at purdue.edu
Mon Nov 2 06:20:41 EST 2015

Dear All,

I would like to thank everybody who contributed and/or participated at Birck Center's 10th anniversary event last Friday. We had outstanding speakers and a great poster session. It was a nice opportunity to hear how the initial ideas dating back to 1996 or so eventually led to BNC and to ponder about what we should do in the next 10 years and beyond. Jim Cooper, in a recent email, summarized very nicely:

"I just wanted to tell you that the Birck 10th anniversary celebration was, in a word, AWESOME. Nanotech Madness was a winner -- everybody enjoyed it. All the morning sessions were interesting, the poster session was great, ... . Please pass my congratulations to all who helped with the organization, planning, and execution. You outdid yourselves!"

I would like to thank the outstanding work of the organizing committee (lead by John Weaver, including Jaime Turner, Swati Pol, Mary Jo Totten, Donna Brown, Lyndsey Estes, Maria Longoria-Littleton, Nicole Kingma, Pam Burrof-Murr, Sarah Anderson, and Paul Sturm) who worked very hard for many months to prepare for this event. John's meticulous planning in every stage was essential. Dimitri Peroulis suggested and helped run many of the exciting activities (Nanotech madness, commercialization panel, tribute to students). Many of the staff from Ron Reger's and Mark Voorhis' teams were involved and worked hard to prepare the facility. Swati Pol and Nancy Black did a great job with many students in a major job to update all of the posters in the facility.

Joe Cychosz and his colleagues at nanoHUB have kindly recorded all of the presentations from last Friday and they will be available online shortly. As Mark Lundstrom highlighted, 10th anniversary event is just the beginning as we will be working to update our strategic plans in the coming months. This is a great opportunity to leverage synergies as Discovery Park's new Chief Scientist and Executive Director, Tomas Diaz de la Rubia, is preparing plans for DP2.0.

While this is fresh in your memory, I look forward to hear feedback and suggestions on what we should do to take BNC to the next level (anything from improving operations and logistics to strategic equipment updates, user facilities and new research directions).

Best regards,
Ali