[BNC-all] Update

Kuhn, Jeffrey G kuhn1 at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 7 17:33:00 EST 2015

All,

I was in a hurry writing my last email, so please let me clarify the situation a bit.

Wade power plant lost all of its boilers so it cannot produce steam. Birck is heated across the board by hot water that is generated by steam. Therefore we have lost heating (and humidification) for all areas. Since we cannot heat the incoming cold air into our air handlers, we are at risk of them shutting down automatically on low temperature protection. If that happened, the cleanroom would encounter serious negative static pressure, causing all areas of the cleanroom, biocleanroom, and J Bay lab to be contaminated. In order to prevent this from happening, we have closed the cleanroom, biocleanroom, and J Bay lab until the situation is resolved.  All Toxic Gases are offline building-wide.

For now the laboratories are open, but this could change at any time for the same reason as above.

As of this writing, steam pressure is still zero and we've received no updates as to its status.

Regards,

Jeff Kuhn
Facility Engineer
1205 W. State St.