[BNC-all] BNC e-news for the week of September 22nd

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Sep 19 08:18:45 EDT 2014

Cleanroom
Flu Shot
Demonstration
Presentation
Preventive Maintenance
Seminar

Cleanroom
This week we started our cleanroom certification testing using an outside company to measure the efficiency of each HEPA and ULPA filter.  Part of this process involves challenging and testing all the filters for damage or particle leaks.  The certification company found we had a surprising number of damaged filters that require patching and retesting.  The process involves using a silicone caulk at the location of the HEPA leak.  The silicone caulk will generate a vinegar odor in the cleanroom for couple of days after the patch is applied and until outgassing stops.  We hope the vinegar odor in the cleanroom will slowly dissipate over the weekend.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Flu Shot
Why put up with the flu?
You feel rotten. No one wants to be around you. You miss all the fun.

Get a free flu shot* at any of these events hosted by the Center for Healthy Living:
Oct. 7

Nelson Hall, Room 3203

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Oct. 8

Stewart Center, Room 214 A&B

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Oct. 16

Stewart Center, Room 214 A&B

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Oct. 17

Birck Nanotechnology Center, Room 1001

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

You don't need an appointment. Just bring your PUID card and stop in whenever it's most convenient for you. Covered spouses and same-sex domestic partners can get a free flu shot at any of the events simply by showing their Anthem
ID card.

Can't make it to an on-campus event?
Anyone covered on a Purdue medical plan - including children - can get a free flu shot one of these ways:

  *   Go to a retail pharmacy: Choose a pharmacy from the list of covered locations<http://www.purdue.edu/hr/Benefits/Medical/pdf/AnthemfluShots.pdf>. Be sure to have the Anthem ID card with you for everyone who's getting a flu shot.
  *   Go to your health care provider: All Purdue medical plans cover seasonal flu shots for covered employees and family members.
Questions?
Contact Human Resources at 49-42222 or hr at purdue.edu<mailto:hr at purdue.edu>.

*Fluzone trivalent 0.5 mL single-dose

Demonstration
EVOS(r) imaging systems Demo
Please join us to see and learn about the latest innovations in imaging with EVOS(r)
Birck Nanotechnology Center
BRK 1001 Conference Room
Tuesday, Sept 23rd
10:00am - 2:00pm
Featuring EVOS Brightfield and Fluorescent Imaging Microscopes
Feel free to bring samples and USB memory sticks to take images back to your lab!
Andrew Fritts (andrew.fritts at thermofisher.com<mailto:andrew.fritts at thermofisher.com>) and Angie Keiser (angela.keiser at thermofisher.com<mailto:angela.keiser at thermofisher.com>)

Presentation
I wanted to invite you and anyone from the Discovery Park family to a presentation by John Lechleiter on September 25th from 2:30 to 3:30 at Loeb Theater, in Stewart Hall.  John will be giving a great presentation that will focus on innovation, what it takes, the characteristics of innovative people, and the skills faculty and students need to have, especially if they plan on collaborating with (or even working for) a company.  His speech writer will be sending me the official title and a very short abstract (I hope) by the end of the week.

Please advertise and strongly encourage faculty, staff, undergrad/grad students and post docs to attend because I really want to make a strong showing on behalf of Purdue.

Many thanks in advance.

Geanie

Geanie Umberger, PhD, MSPH, RPh
Assistant Vice President for Industry Research
Office of Industry Research and Partnerships
Purdue University
Phone (765) 496-3723

Preventive Maintenance
Shut Down Notice
October 13 - October 17

The Brick Nanotechnology Center will be undergoing a semi-annual preventive maintenance and service shutdown October 13 through October 17, 2014.  Air handling systems, exhaust systems, hazardous toxic gas delivery, and monitoring systems will be down beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, October 13 through 4 p.m. Friday, October 17.  The BNC staff will be performing appropriate preventive maintenance on the process equipment at this time as well.

All CLEANROOM research work will be suspended until the maintenance activities are completed and all systems are returned to normal.  No one will be allowed to enter the cleanroom during this time period.

In addition, the laboratory areas will also be affected by this systems maintenance.  As such, all LABORATORY activities that involve exhausted hoods, vacuum systems, and/or toxic gas systems will be down beginning 9 a.m. Monday, October 13 through 4 p.m. Friday, October 17.  However, work that involves taking standard electrical measurements may be carried out in the LABS provided that fluctuating air temperature and humidity do not affect the readings.  No chemical work will be allowed during this period.

It is anticipated that the building and process tool maintenance will be completed by the end of the day on Friday, October 17.  Please check Coral for equipment status and availability.

For long term research planning please refer the following future dates for our future preventive maintenance shutdowns.

?  Week of May 4, 2015

?  Week of October 12, 2015

?  Week of May 2, 2016

?  Week of Oct 10, 2016

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these important preventive maintenance shutdowns.

BNC Management
Seminar

Prof. Tongcang Li
Optomechanics of levitated dielectric particles
OSA Purdue Student Chapter Seminar Series
September 22nd at 5:00 pm in Birck 1001
I will first introduce basic concepts in cavity optomechanics, which explores the interaction between photons and mechanical motion.  Then, I will review recent works in optomechanics of levitated particles, including our own contributions. Optically trapped microspheres and nanoparticles in vacuum provide an ideal system for ultrasensitive force detection and studying macroscopic quantum mechanics. An optically trapped particle in vacuum has an ultrahigh mechanical quality factor as it is well-isolated from the thermal environment. Its oscillation frequency can be tuned in real time by changing the power of the trapping laser. Furthermore, an optically trapped particle in vacuum may rotate freely, a unique property that does not exist in clamped mechanical oscillators.