[BNC-all] BNC e-news for the week of September 8th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Sep 5 13:00:55 EDT 2014

Purchasing
As a reminder you must include approval, quote, and fully completed purchasing request form or your order will not be processed.

Survey Feedback

Some users have been delayed in receiving training on the new PVD metals/dielectrics sputtering system.  We apologize for this delay, which has been caused by a high demand for this new capability.  This PVD sputtering system has been brought online just recently and has both RF and DC power supplies.  Several groups are very interested in getting films from this new system, and we're trying to accommodate users as efficiently as possible.  With multiple materials, both conductors and insulators, and with characterizing the films when the targets are first installed, we're on a bit of a learning curve ourselves.  Also we are trying to accommodate groups with similar film needs so as to minimize the down-time associated with target changes and/or power supply calibrations.  We're looking at ways to make this more efficient, including adding an additional power supply to facilitate more films without as much change-over time.  We appreciate your patience as we work through this learning curve and establish more efficient procedures for this very popular deposition system.  Also, we would welcome suggestions on how to make this popular machine more efficient to the user groups.

Thanks,
Ron

Preventive Maintenance
Shut Down Notice
October 13 - October 17

The Brick Nanotechnology Center will be undergoing a semi-annual preventive maintenance and service shutdown October 13 through October 17, 2014.  Air handling systems, exhaust systems, hazardous toxic gas delivery, and monitoring systems will be down beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, October 13 through 4 p.m. Friday, October 17.  The BNC staff will be performing appropriate preventive maintenance on the process equipment at this time as well.

All CLEANROOM research work will be suspended until the maintenance activities are completed and all systems are returned to normal.  No one will be allowed to enter the cleanroom during this time period.

In addition, the laboratory areas will also be affected by this systems maintenance.  As such, all LABORATORY activities that involve exhausted hoods, vacuum systems, and/or toxic gas systems will be down beginning 9 a.m. Monday, October 13 through 4 p.m. Friday, October 17.  However, work that involves taking standard electrical measurements may be carried out in the LABS provided that fluctuating air temperature and humidity do not affect the readings.  No chemical work will be allowed during this period.

It is anticipated that the building and process tool maintenance will be completed by the end of the day on Friday, October 17.  Please check Coral for equipment status and availability.

For long term research planning please refer the following future dates for our future preventive maintenance shutdowns.

?  Week of May 4, 2015

?  Week of October 12, 2015

?  Week of May 2, 2016

?  Week of Oct 10, 2016

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these important preventive maintenance shutdowns.

BNC Management

Thank you,

Heather L Anthrop

1205 West State Street