[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of Oct. 6th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 6 11:54:55 EDT 2014

Flu Shot
Maintenance Shutdown
Seminar
Survey
Workshop

Flu Shot
Why put up with the flu?
You feel rotten. No one wants to be around you. You miss all the fun.

Get a free flu shot* at any of these events hosted by the Center for Healthy Living:
Oct. 7

Nelson Hall, Room 3203

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Oct. 8

Stewart Center, Room 214 A&B

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Oct. 16

Stewart Center, Room 214 A&B

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Oct. 17

Birck Nanotechnology Center, Room 1001

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

You don't need an appointment. Just bring your PUID card and stop in whenever it's most convenient for you. Covered spouses and same-sex domestic partners can get a free flu shot at any of the events simply by showing their Anthem
ID card.

Can't make it to an on-campus event?
Anyone covered on a Purdue medical plan - including children - can get a free flu shot one of these ways:

  *   Go to a retail pharmacy: Choose a pharmacy from the list of covered locations<http://www.purdue.edu/hr/Benefits/Medical/pdf/AnthemfluShots.pdf>. Be sure to have the Anthem ID card with you for everyone who's getting a flu shot.
  *   Go to your health care provider: All Purdue medical plans cover seasonal flu shots for covered employees and family members.
Questions?
Contact Human Resources at 49-42222 or hr at purdue.edu<mailto:hr at purdue.edu>.

*Fluzone trivalent 0.5 mL single-dose

Preventive Maintenance
Shut Down Notice
October 13 - October 17

The Brick Nanotechnology Center will be undergoing a semi-annual preventive maintenance and service shutdown October 13 through October 17, 2014.  Air handling systems, exhaust systems, hazardous toxic gas delivery, and monitoring systems will be down beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, October 13 through 4 p.m. Friday, October 17.  The BNC staff will be performing appropriate preventive maintenance on the process equipment at this time as well.

All CLEANROOM research work will be suspended until the maintenance activities are completed and all systems are returned to normal.  No one will be allowed to enter the cleanroom during this time period.

In addition, the laboratory areas will also be affected by this systems maintenance.  As such, all LABORATORY activities that involve exhausted hoods, vacuum systems, and/or toxic gas systems will be down beginning 9 a.m. Monday, October 13 through 4 p.m. Friday, October 17.  However, work that involves taking standard electrical measurements may be carried out in the LABS provided that fluctuating air temperature and humidity do not affect the readings.  No chemical work will be allowed during this period.

It is anticipated that the building and process tool maintenance will be completed by the end of the day on Friday, October 17.  Please check Coral for equipment status and availability.

For long term research planning please refer the following future dates for our future preventive maintenance shutdowns.

?  Week of May 4, 2015

?  Week of October 12, 2015

?  Week of May 2, 2016

?  Week of Oct 10, 2016

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these important preventive maintenance shutdowns.

BNC Management

Seminar
Prof. Coray M Colina
Novel Nanoporous Materials: In Silico Design
Monday, October 6th at 3:30 pm in ARMS 1010

Survey Feedback

Atrium Displays

The flat panel displays in the upper and lower atriums are now fully functional, and thanks to hard work by John Coy we are now able to show continuously looping PowerPoint presentations on them.  Presently we are showing the new equipment for 2014 that is ordered and/or installed here at Birck.  We've received some very positive comments about that content, so we would be pleased to have suggestions about additional topics you would like to see displayed.  Since looping PowerPoint presentations can be shown this opens up broad possibilities to feature a variety of content . . . current research topics, awards, honors, discoveries, etc.  Please feel free to suggest topics and to send me any presentation material you would suggest displaying.  Of course, we continue to show current events & guest speakers, materials in the deposition systems, and enabled equipment in the cleanroom.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Ron

Workshop
Introduction to XPS: What we should know about X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy
October 28th & 29th at 9:00 am in Birck 1099
For more information regarding the workshop please visit: https://nanohub.org/groups/bnc/calendar/details/1070
Registration: http://bit.ly/1eqIM8U

Introduction to CasaXPS: What we should know about XPS data analysis with CasaXPS
November 4th & 5th at 9;00 am in Birck 1099
For more information regarding the workshop please visit: https://nanohub.org/groups/bnc/calendar/details/1071
Registration: http://bit.ly/IYeOeu