[BNC-all] NSAC Coffee Hour Reminder

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Nov 14 13:26:59 EST 2014

Please join us for today's NSAC Coffee Hour at 3:30 pm in the Birck atrium featuring Mikhail Shalaginov.

Plasmonic waveguides cladded by hyperbolic metamaterials

Strongly anisotropic media with hyperbolic dispersion can be used for claddings of plasmonic waveguides. In order to analyze the fundamental properties of such waveguides, we analytically study 1D and 2D waveguides arranged of a hyperbolic metamaterial (HMM) in a HMM-Insulator-HMM (HIH) structure. We show that hyperbolic metamaterial claddings give flexibility in designing the properties of HIH waveguides. Our comparative study on  plasmonic waveguides reveals that HIH-type waveguides can have a higher performance than MIM or IMI waveguides.