[BNC-all] FW: Physics CM seminar Friday, Oct. 4th at 3:30pm in PHYS 203 - Dr. Michael Lilly

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Thu Oct 3 11:01:49 EDT 2013

Dr. Michael Lilly
Sandia National Laboratory
"Manipulating single electrons in semiconductor devices for quantum computing"
Friday October 04, 2013
3:30pm PHYS 203
Refreshments are served at 3:00 p.m. in Physics room 242.
Semiconductor nanoelectronic devices can be combined, or integrated, in a variety of ways to control single electrons and form a qubit.  In a qubit, the quantum mechanical properties of a two-level system serve as the basic component of a quantum computer.  In our group, we have focused on silicon devices where electrons are confined in either quantum dots or single donor atoms.   One approach is to use the spin of two electrons in a  double quantum dot.  Results on Pauli spin blockade for MOS double dots will be presented.  Another approach to make a qubit is using to the spin of a single electron.  Pulsed measurements are used for electrical spin readout.  Using such pulsing techniques, we have measure the energy relaxation time of a single electron spin in silicon and find T1 lifetimes exceeding 1 second.

Sandia National Laboratories is a multi-program laboratory managed and operated by Sandia Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Lockheed Martin Corporation, for the U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration under contract DE-AC04-94AL85000.