[BNC-all] BNC E-news for the week of Nov. 11th

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Nov 8 13:05:38 EST 2013

FedEx
Final Exam
NSAC Coffee Hour Presentation
NSAC Tip of the Week
Room Reservation
Seminar
Travel

FedEx
Everyone,
Please note that Purdue is going to be using a new Fed-Ex number starting November 15th, 2013.  If you are using old Fed-ex forms, please make sure to not use then after November 15th.  To get new ones, please come to BRK 1220 or order more through the MMDC website.  Any questions, please let Lorraine Fox (4-4491) or myself know.

Thank you,
Mary Jo Totten

Final Exam
Sahil Bansal
Birck 2001 at 8:00 am
November 11

Top Down Approaches to Fabricate nanowire Based Novel Electronics Devices

As the end of the silicon CMOS technology roadmap approaches there is a need to explore alternative device structures to continue to push computational ability. In this work we have chosen nanowires as our basic device structure and we present a top-down approach that we have developed and used to fabricate nanowires on various substrates including Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI), Silicon-on-Sapphire (SOS) and Germanium-on-Insulator (GOI) substrates. We present the experimental results of back gated and some top-gated nanowire devices fabricated on these substrates.
The silicon nanowires fabricated using our top-down approach were used to convert them into Silicon-Carbide nanowires using a CVD process involving the breakdown of Silane, similar to the CVD process used to fabricate large area graphene on Silicon-Carbide substrates. We present the electrical results backed up by TEM images on this work.
We have also explored the possibility of band-to-band tunneling in nanowire transistors and present novel nanowire device structures with associated energy band diagrams that can be used to make nanowire

Haejun Chung
Birck 1099 at 12:00 pm
November 11th

Time Domain Simulation of Novel Photovoltaic Materials

Thin-film silicon-based solar cells have operated far from the Shockley-Queisser limit in all experiments to date. Novel light-trapping structures, however, may help address this limitation. Finite-difference time domain simulation methods offer the potential to accurately determine the light-trapping potential of arbitrary dielectric structures, but suffer from materials modeling problems. In this thesis, existing dispersion models for novel photovoltaic materials will be reviewed, and a novel dispersion model, known as the quadratic complex rational function (QCRF), will be proposed. It has the advantage of accurately fitting experimental semiconductor dielectric values over a wide bandwidth in a numerically stable fashion. Applying the proposed dispersion model, a statistically correlated surface texturing method will be suggested, and light absorption rates of it will be explained. In future work, these designs will be combined with other structures and optimized to help guide future experiments.

Vinh Quang Diep
Birck 1001 at 9:00 am
November 12th

Spin Nano-switches: Physics and Applications

Complementary metal-oxide semiconductor(CMOS) has been very successful from the scaling of its dimension over the years which results in the improvement the performances of the devices. However, it has been recognized that one of the biggest obstacles to continued downscaling is the heat dissipated. This has led to an intensive search for alternative switches that could potentially provide improvement or add new functionalities to CMOS devices. On the other hand there has been enormous progress in spintronics and nanomagnetics that is greatly influencing memory devices, and it seems natural to ask if this progress could be harnessed for logic devices as well. The objective of this thesis is three-fold. The first is to describe a general paradigm for combining Read and Write units for memory devices into switches having CMOS transistor-like characteristics. Such switches could be used to build logic circuits without the need of any external circuits or amplification. The second is to evaluate these spinbased
switches for conventional Boolean logic applications, and possible new materials and phenomena for Write and Read units that are needed to provide improvement over standard CMOS switches. The third is to evaluate spin switches for non-Boolean applications, based on neurons and synapses comparing them to CMOS-based ones in term of power and area consumption.

NSAC Coffee Hour Presentation
This week's coffee hour presentation will be by Fernando Pastrana. Fernando is a Visiting Scholar at Purdue and PhD student at Andes University in Colombia. He is a Medical Doctor with MSc in Biomedical Science and enrolled in PhD program at Engineering School of Electric and Electronics at Andes University. Fernando will be presenting a poster on Safety protocols: Development for handling nano materials at research scenarios.
Brick Atrium at 3:30 pm.

NSAC Tip of the Week

Procedural Violations

This violation corresponds to those that can cause delays in research due to the necessity of cleaning, fixing and/or decontamination of equipment that has been mistreated. This violation has four warnings:

a. First safety violations, the user will be reminded of the proper procedure and verbally corrected immediately

b. Second violation then they will be issued a corrective e-mail by the Process and Equipment Manager,

c. Third violation will be notify to the user and Faculty Advisor

d. Fourth  violations will result in some period of expulsion from the labs and/or cleanroom

Room Reservation
For users who do not have Purdue exchange accounts, our conference room wizard calendars can be viewed at the following links:

BRK 1001:  http://brk1001rw.ecn.purdue.edu
BRK 1024:  http://brk1024rw.ecn.purdue.edu
BRK 1099:  http://brk1099rw.ecn.purdue.edu
BRK 1201:  http://brk1201rw.ecn.purdue.edu
BRK 1290:  http://brk1290rw.ecn.purdue.edu
BRK 2001:  http://brk2001rw.ecn.purdue.edu
BRK 2024:  http://brk2024rw.ecn.purdue.edu
BRK 2290:  http://brk2290rw.ecn.purdue.edu

Angie Sigo
Secretary, Skywalk Atrium
Birck Nanotechnology Center
Phone:  765-496-8327
Email:  angie at purdue.edu<mailto:angie at purdue.edu>

Seminar

Dr. Chih-Kang Shih
Monday, November 11th at 10:30 am
PHYS 242
Quantum control of metal/semiconductor hybrid systems: from atomic layer superconductivity to deep sub-diffraction nanolasers

For more information please visit: http://calendar.science.purdue.edu/physics/seminars/d11/11/2013/adpop/6?addinfile=_-physics--seminars_Colloquia

Dr. Paul Hommert
Tuesday, November 12th at 3:00 pm
MRGN 121
Research and Technologies for National Security: A Perspective from a National Security Laboratory

Dr. Paul Hommert is the director of Sandia National Laboratories and president of Sandia Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Lockheed Martin Corporation, which operates Sandia for the U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration.
Dr. Hommert earned a BS degree cum laude in mechanical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and MS and PhD degrees in mechanical engineering from Purdue University. He received an Outstanding Alumnus Award for Professional Excellence in 2003 from Purdue's School of Mechanical Engineering and a Distinguished Engineering Alumni Award in 2010 from Purdue's College of Engineering. In 2013, Dr. Hommert was named Laboratory Director of the Year by the Federal Laboratory Consortium for his support of Sandia's technology transfer activities. The award recognizes federal laboratories and their industry partners for outstanding technology transfer efforts and has become one of the most prestigious honors in technology transfer.

RSVP to: Cindy Ream, Discovery park, Engagement Operations Manager
cream at purdue.edu<mailto:cream at purdue.edu> or (765) 494 -0015

Travel

We are starting to see several trips that are being booked along with their reimbursements in the Concur system so we think most people have been able to attend training.  During the implementation period, we have been processing travel reimbursements with paper form 25's or through Concur, but we will need to migrate completely to Concur by November 22.  This date will coincide pretty closely with the last date that Travel will be able to accept paper form 25's.

Please contact your departmental Business Manager if you have any concerns about any training needs that might exist.  We have staff in the Business Office who are happy to assist you and provide individual training resources as you book a trip or prepare the expenditure report.

Sincerely,
Christy

Christy Haddock
Director of Financial Affairs
Office of the Vice President for Research and Discovery Park
765-494-1642
cjhaddock at purdue.edu<mailto:cjhaddock at purdue.edu>