[BNC-all] Nanodays 2013

Shakouri, Ali shakouri at purdue.edu
Thu May 2 11:14:26 EDT 2013

Dear All,

We hosted Nanodays which was an outstanding outreach event last week. We had ~850 students from ~14 schools who came to Discovery Park on April 25 and 26. This was a great opportunity to showcase the impact of nanotechnology in the society and to encourage young students to pursue carriers in science and engineering. This would not have been possible without the dedicated work of our staff who have been working on the planning of Nanodays in the last couple of months. Monica Allain was key to create this great event and our staff had to do quite a bit of extra work to keep the momentum. We also had a great participation of our faculty and graduate students who prepared exciting activities and demonstrations for our young visitors.

I would like to particularly thank the following main contributors:
Jaime Turner
Angie Sigo
                Nancy Black
                Heather Anthrop
                Candiss Vibbert (MRGN)
                Nancy Goodman (MRGN)
                John Wilcox
                Mary Jo Totten
                Lisa Reece

We also had quite a few staff who helped to set up the activities and clean up:
                Ron Reger
                Lorraine Fox
                Michael Courtney
                John Coy
                Geoff Gardner
                Dan Hosler
                Dave Lubelski
                Tim Miller
                Bill Rowe
                Kenny Schwartz
                Bill Sheldon
                Mark Voorhis
                Tracy Hudson
                Mary Jones
                Guy Telesnicki
                Bambrah Miller (MRGN)
                Cindy Ream (MRGN)

Here is the list of Nanodays activities/demonstrations given by students, faculty and staff. I hope this can give some ideas to faculty and students as they develop outreach activities for their NSF or similar grants:

o   Nanograde Water - Tim Miller

o   NCN Booth - Victoria Farnsworth

o   Thermoelectrics Table - Prof. Xianfan Xu

o   Faculty Table - Prof. Jong Hyun Choi

o   Heart Table - Aamer Mahmood

o   Thermoacustic Engine Table - Prof. Liang Pan

o   Scanning Probes - Prof. Dan Suter

o   Optical Society Table

o   Prof. Peter Bermel - Thin Films Table

o   Prof. You-Yeon Won - Nanosand Table

o   Lisa Reece - Nano Ice Cream

o   Robert Moon - NanoTrees Lecture

o   Christy Cooper - Cleaning Water with Nanoparticles Lecture

o   Guy Telesnicki - How to make Nanoparticles Lecture

o   Matt Stensberg - Nano Silver Lecture

o   Desiree White-Schenk - Treating Cancer with Nanoparticles Lecture

o   Ecotoxicology - Marisol Sepulveda

o   Tech Table - Goeff Gardner

o   Higgs-Boson - Gale Lockwood

o   Sproresat - Amani Salim

o   Graphene Biosensor - Ruchit Mehta and Naresh Emani

o   Mid Infared Devices - Imrul Hossain

o   II-V MoICAP - Jingyun Zhang

It was especially nice to see how the people listed above pitched in to help as there are always last minute and unexpected issues, it really showed how the Birck staff pulls together and supports one another when needed.

Thanks again for an outstanding work. Please let me and Jaime know if you have suggestions and comments on how we can improve Nanodays or similar events in the future.

Best regards,
Ali