[BNC-all] Seminar Prof. Jena, Thursday 5/10 1:30pm, Morgan 121

Shakouri, Ali shakouri at purdue.edu
Wed May 9 19:05:01 EDT 2012

Dear All,
I encourage you to attend the seminar below.
Thanks for your time.
Best regards,
Ali

Ali Shakouri
Mary Jo and Robert L. Kirk Director
Professor of  Electrical and Computer Engineering
Birck Nanotechnology Center, Room 1027
Purdue University
1205 West State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057
(765) 496-6105; Fax: (765) 496-8299
shakouri at purdue.edu

Materials and physics for future high-speed RF and power devices and circuits: challenges and opportunities

Professor Debdeep Jena, University of Notre Dame

Thursday May 10th, 1:30-2:30pm
Morgan 121

Abstract:
As the age of scaling of Silicon transistors hits quantum mechanical brick walls, there is another age of electronics that is dawning.  The new age is of ubiquitous high-performance RF and power electronics, where the key metric is energy efficiency.  This new age of electronic devices and circuits pose significant challenges in developing new materials, investigating new physics, and innovations in circuits and systems.  Therein also lies the opportunity for material scientists, electrical engineers, and physicists.  In this presentation, I will highlight our research efforts in materials and devices that address this challenge.  In particular, we have investigated wide bandgap semiconductor epitaxy and polarization physics originating from broken symmetry that enables functionalities absent in traditional semiconductors.  The new physics and material properties drive the RF and power performance of such semiconductors to levels unmatched by traditional semiconductors.  Emerging materials such as 2D crystals enhance these functionalities, and allow facile integration.  The performance levels of such devices require radical rethinking of device physics, thermal management, and circuit and system architectures.  Thus they offer significant opportunities for novel design.  What is rather surprising is that the fundamental quantum limits of RF and power devices are poorly understood today, offering significant opportunities for physicists.  In the talk, I wish to convey my personal excitement and vision about the future of this truly interdisciplinary endeavor.

Bio:
Debdeep Jena received the B. Tech. degree with a major in Electrical Engineering and a minor in Physics from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur in 1998, and the Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) in 2003.  He joined the faculty of the department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Notre Dame in 2003.  His research and teaching interests are in the MBE growth and device applications of quantum semiconductor heterostructures (currently III-V nitride semiconductors for RF and power applications), charge transport in nanostructured semiconducting materials such as graphene, nanowires and nanocrystals, and their device applications, and in the theory of charge, heat, and spin transport in nanomaterials.  He is the author on several journal publications, including articles in Science, Physical Review Letters, and Electron Device Letters among others.  He has received two best student paper awards in 2000 and 2002 for his Ph.D. dissertation research, the NSF CAREER award in 2007, and the Joyce award for excellence in undergraduate teaching in 2010.