[BNC-all] The Art of Taming Light at the Nanoscale

Anthrop, Heather L hanthrop at purdue.edu
Fri Apr 20 14:11:02 EDT 2012

Alex Kildishev

Purdue University

Wednesday, April 25th

1:30 pm BRK 2001

The Art of Taming Light at the Nanoscale

This talk will review some of my recent studies, which are focused on the following topics: (i) optical metamaterials and plasmonic nanoantennas for imaging and sensing systems - developing fast meshless solvers for modeling periodic metamaterials and metasurfaces; - pulse shaping with  metamaterials/metasurfaces; - bi-anisotropic homogenization of optical metamaterials; (ii) transformation optics concepts and applications: - designing non-imaging gradient-index optics; - designing and validating planar nanoplasmonic elements of diffractive optics; (iii) time-domain multiphysics modeling of the periodic and random nanostructures: - accurate modeling of dispersive plasmonic materials; - experiment-fit modeling of stimulated emission in organic dyes.  I will also cover my efforts directed towards making the modeling and optimization tools freely available to a larger research community through nanoHUB.org.

NOTE: Dr. Kildishev is a prospective ECE Research Associate Professor candidate. Prof. Andrew Weiner (amw at purdue.edu; 45574) is hosting Alex Kildishev.