[BNC-all] Reminder [Me-faculty] ME Graduate Seminar-today

Black, Nancy Lee blackn at purdue.edu
Thu Oct 20 10:07:22 EDT 2011

MECHANICAL ENGINEERING GRADUATE SEMINAR
OCTOBER 20, 2011    4:30 P.M. ROOM ME 1061

Dr. H. Tom Soh
Ruth Garland Professor of
Materials & Mechanical Engineering
UC - Santa Barbara (UCSB)

"Sorting Cells and Evolving Molecules in
Microfluidic Systems"

Abstract: Current techniques in high performance molecular and cellular separations are limited by the inherent coupling among three competing parameters: throughput, purity, and recovery of rare species.  Our group utilizes unique advantages of microfluidics technology to decouple these competing parameters by precise and reproducible generation of separation forces that are not accessible in conventional, macroscopic systems.  In this seminar, we will first discuss novel high performance electrokinetic, magnetophoretic and acoustophoretic separation systems to purify rare target cells from complex mixtures.  Next, we will present our recent work in applying the microfluidic separation systems for Rapid Directed Evolution of molecules (RDE).  We will provide theoretical and experimental evidence for extremely fast generation of affinity reagents -molecular recognition elements that bind to target molecules with high affinity and specificity.  Finally, we will present innovative methods of evolving molecular machines that are capable of performing complex functions, including binding induced switching and conformation change.

Brief Bio: Dr. Soh received his B.S. with a double major in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science with Distinction from Cornell University, and Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University. Prior to joining UCSB in 2003, Dr. Soh served as the technical manager of MEMS Device Research Group at Bell Laboratories and MEMS R&D group at Agere Systems. His current research interests are in analytical biotechnology, especially in high throughput screening, directed evolution and integrated biosensors. He is Co-Director at the Center for Stem Cell Biology & Engineering and affiliated with the Institute for Collaborative Biotechnologies and the California Nanosystems Institute. He is the recipient of the MIT Technology Review's "TR 100" Award (2002), ONR Young Investigator Award (2004), Beckman Young Investigator Award (2005), the ALA Innovator Award (2009), a NIH Director's TR01 Award (2009), Johh Simon Guggenheim Fellowship (2010), Edward C. Nagy Lectureship, NIH (2011), and the Garland Endowed Chairship at UCSB (2011).

Reception 4:00 p.m. in common area outside ME 2137 - Gatewood Wing

Diana K. Akers
Secretary
Mechanical Engineering
Purdue University