[BNC-all] Fwd: [Me-faculty] ME Graduate Seminar

Cagri Savran savran at purdue.edu
Sun Oct 16 20:48:33 EDT 2011

Colleagues,

I thought this week's ME grad seminar may be of interest.

Thanks,

Cagri

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Akers, Diana K." <akersd at purdue.edu>
> Date: September 27, 2011 8:56:52 AM GMT-04:00
> To: "me-faculty at purdue.edu" <me-faculty at purdue.edu>, "'me-grads at purdue.edu
> '" <me-grads at purdue.edu>, "'me-staff at purdue.edu'" <me-
> staff at purdue.edu>, "'me-postdoc at purdue.edu'" <me-
> postdoc at purdue.edu>, "'me-adjunct at purdue.edu'" <me-
> adjunct at purdue.edu>, "me-secs at ecn.purdue.edu" <me-secs at ecn.purdue.edu>
> Cc: "'Julayne Moser'" <moser at purdue.edu>
> Subject: [Me-faculty] ME Graduate Seminar
>
> MECHANICAL ENGINEERING GRADUATE SEMINAR
> OCTOBER 20, 2011    4:30 P.M. ROOM 1061
>
> Dr. H. Tom Soh
> Ruth Garland Professor of
> Materials & Mechanical Engineering
> UC – Santa Barbara (UCSB)
>
> “Sorting Cells and Evolving Molecules in
> Microfluidic Systems”
>
> Abstract: Current techniques in high performance molecular and
> cellular separations are limited by the inherent coupling among
> three competing parameters: throughput, purity, and recovery of rare
> species.  Our group utilizes unique advantages of microfluidics
> technology to decouple these competing parameters by precise and
> reproducible generation of separation forces that are not accessible
> in conventional, macroscopic systems.  In this seminar, we will
> first discuss novel high performance electrokinetic, magnetophoretic
> and acoustophoretic separation systems to purify rare target cells
> from complex mixtures.  Next, we will present our recent work in
> applying the microfluidic separation systems for Rapid Directed
> Evolution of molecules (RDE).  We will provide theoretical and
> experimental evidence for extremely fast generation of affinity
> reagents –molecular recognition elements that bind to target
> molecules with high affinity and specificity.  Finally, we will
> present innovative methods of evolving molecular machines that are
> capable of performing complex functions, including binding induced
> switching and conformation change.
>

> Brief Bio: Dr. Soh received his B.S. with a double major in
> Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science with Distinction from
> Cornell University, and Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from
> Stanford University. Prior to joining UCSB in 2003, Dr. Soh served
> as the technical manager of MEMS Device Research Group at Bell
> Laboratories and MEMS R&D group at Agere Systems. His current
> research interests are in analytical biotechnology, especially in
> high throughput screening, directed evolution and integrated
> biosensors. He is Co-Director at the Center for Stem Cell Biology &
> Engineering and affiliated with the Institute for Collaborative
> Biotechnologies and the California Nanosystems Institute. He is the
> recipient of the MIT Technology Review’s "TR 100" Award (2002), ONR
> Young Investigator Award (2004), Beckman Young Investigator Award
> (2005), the ALA Innovator Award (2009), a NIH Director’s TR01 Award
> [...]

Dr. Cagri Savran,
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering,
Purdue University

Birck Nanotechnology Center,
1205 W. State St., West Lafayette, IN 47907
765 494 8601
savran at purdue.edu
https://engineering.purdue.edu/SavranLab/