[BNC-all] Purdue's New Smoke-Free Policy Effective July 1

Totten, Mary J tottenm at purdue.edu
Fri Jun 4 14:12:40 EDT 2010

From: Boland, Stephanie E
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 1:47 PM
Subject: Purdue's New Smoke-Free Policy Effective July 1

Communications Announcement
Purdue University - Physical Facilities

TO: Building Deputies [Please distribute.]
FR: Carol A. Shelby, Senior Director, Environmental Health and Public Safety
DA: Friday, June 4, 2010
RE: Purdue's New Smoke-Free Policy Effective July 1

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.<http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/email/SmokeFree1.html>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CB03EA.CA5B9020]<http://www.purdue.edu/physicalfacilities/smokefree/>

Purdue's New Smoke-Free Policy Effective July 1

Purdue's "smoke-free" policy is designed to support a healthy campus and limit exposure to secondhand smoke, which has been determined unsafe at any level according to the EPA. As of July 1, smoking will no longer be permitted on campus except in a limited number of designated areas. For more information on this policy, including a map of the designated smoking areas, see www.purdue.edu/smokefree<http://www.purdue.edu/smokefree>.

Frequently Asked Questions
Who has to comply with this policy?
All university employees, students, or visitors on the West Lafayette campus.
What does "smoke-free" mean?
It means that smoking is prohibited both indoors and outdoors on the entire grounds of the campus, including in all vehicles owned or leased by the University.
Is there anywhere I can smoke?
Smoking is permitted inside privately owned, closed vehicles. In addition, the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance and Treasurer may grant the designation of smoking areas on the West Lafayette campus. View a map of designated smoking areas<http://www.purdue.edu/physicalfacilities/smokefree/map.htm>.
Why did Purdue make this change?

The health of our students, faculty, staff, and visitors is our number one concern. Smoking and secondhand smoke can increase a person's risk for heart disease, cancer, and respiratory problems, just to name a few. According to the EPA, there is no safe exposure level to secondhand smoke.

As an employer, Purdue University is burdened by increased medical costs, higher insurance rates, added maintenance expenses, lower productivity, and higher absenteeism rates when our faculty and staff smoke.

Have all Purdue campuses instituted this policy?
All Purdue campuses have a non-smoking policy, but the details of each policy are at the discretion of each campus's administration.
Can I get assistance if I want to quit smoking?
Smoking cessation programs are available to those who are ready to quit. See the list of resources<http://www.purdue.edu/physicalfacilities/smokefree/cessation.htm>.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CB03EA.CA5B9020]<http://www.purdue.edu/physicalfacilities/smokefree/>