[BNC-all] Triode Replacement

John Weaver jrweaver at ecn.purdue.edu
Mon Jul 23 09:12:42 EDT 2007

DATE:

FROM:  Hasan Sharifi, John Weaver

TO:  BNC Community

SUBJECT:  Replacement of Triode Etcher

As you are probably aware, the Drytek Triode RIE has been inoperable for
some time, and we are not able to obtain the part necessary to fix the
system.  This system is approximately twenty years old, and has not been
supported by the manufacturer for many years.

Through joint startup funds of two faculty members, however, we have been
able to obtain a new Panasonic ICP RIE which can run both fluorine and
chlorine chemistries.  This new, far more dependable system will have
significantly enhanced capabilities over the old system, and will be able to
run at very low pressures - less than 10 mTorr.  We look forward to the new
Panasonic etcher significantly increasing our etch capability in BNC.  We
expect delivery of the Panasonic system prior to the end of 2007.

To begin this process, the Triode etcher will be dismantled beginning the
week of July 30, 2007.  Please let either of us know if you have questions
or concerns regarding this replacement.