[BNC-all] Greetings from the Birck Nanotechnology Center

Tim Sands tsands at ecn.purdue.edu
Sun Nov 26 15:45:54 EST 2006

Dear BNC Colleague:

As my first month as director of the Birck Nanotechnology Center is
drawing to a close, I would like to recognize the efforts of our
founding co-directors, Dick Schwartz and Jim Cooper.  Dick and Jim
brought this multidisciplinary center for interdisciplinary research
from concept through design and construction.  In the past year, they
guided the challenging task of moving people and equipment into this
complex facility. Perhaps more importantly, Jim and Dick began the
process of forming a community of scholars and collaborators. We will
benefit from the unselfish gifts of their energy, time and dedication
for many years to come.

I am looking forward to the challenges and opportunities ahead.  The
Birck Nanotechnology Center is truly a unique and vital resource for
Purdue, for Indiana and for the nation, and I fully expect the people
of the BNC to lead the way in the application of nanoscale science
and engineering to technologies that  advance human health,
information access, energy independence, security and the protection
of the environment.

I hope you will feel free to convey your concerns and ideas to me or
to any of the members of the BNC staff.  On occasion, I will ask you
for help in moving the BNC forward.  I will try to keep my e-mail
requests to a minimum, although I ask for your indulgence over the
next few weeks as we begin the process of building content for the
website, among other initiatives.

Best wishes for the holidays-

Tim
--