[BNC-all] MSE seminar announcement

Willison, Sheryl L swilliso at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 4 14:05:03 EST 2006

________________________________

From: Tanner, Catherine A
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 2:02 PM
Subject: FW: MSE seminar announcement

This email is being forwarded at the request of Lou Underwood in the
Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship.

====

MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING

SEMINAR

Biologically Functional Sol-Gel Materials to Control, Mimic, and Sense
Living Cells

by

Dr. Jenna Rickus

Agricultural and Biological Engineering

Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering

Physiological Sensing Facility at the Bindley Bioscience Center

ABSTRACT

Over the past 15 years, the sol-gel method of producing porous silica
has proven to be a powerful platform for developing hybrid materials
with biological functionality. A wide range of living and non-living
biological components have been integrated into such materials. In this
talk I will discuss our work using sol-gel materials as a platform for
mimicking, directing and interfacing with mammalian cells.  I will
present our recent results on mimicking cells in nonliving systems using
liposome-doped nanocomposites as well as the fundamental
characterization of the sol-gel neuronal biointerface including the
impact of nanotopography on protein conformation at the interface.
Finally I will introduce a new method for the combinatorial presentation
of multiple cell signaling peptides with quantitative control of peptide
concentration at the surface.  The application of these new materials to
cell-based therapies and hybrid cell-silicon implantable devices for
neurological disorders will be discussed.

DATE:       Friday, December 8, 2006

TIME:        3:30 PM - Refreshments

                  3:45 PM - Seminar

PLACE:     MSEE B012

Short Bio:

Dr. Rickus is an assistant professor of biological engineering at Purdue
University with joint appointments in Agricultural and Biological
Engineering and the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering. She has
been jointly trained in the biological sciences and engineering.  She
has a B.S. in Biochemistry and a B.S. in Agricultural and Biological
Engineering from Purdue.  She received her Ph.D. in 2003 from UCLA in
Neuroscience and Neuroengineering where she co-trained under mentors in
materials science and cellular and molecular neurobiology.  She recently
co-founded and currently co-directs the Physiological Sensing Facility
in the Bindley Bioscience Center http://www.purdue.edu/dp/psf/.  Her
research involves the integration of hybrid materials with biological
components to sense and actuate living cells, tissues, and organisms.