How to PhD: Perspectives from three ECE Professor
|Event Date:||February 5, 2009|
|Speaker:||Professors Jan Allebach, Bob Givan, Vlad Shalaev|
|Sponsor:||ECE Graduate Seminar Series|
|Contact Name:||Prof Mark Lundstrom
As you begin your graduate studies, it is important to think about where you are heading and how to get there. Three ECE faculty will share their thoughts on several questions:
- why get a PhD?
- where does research funding come from?
- how does a student select a good PhD thesis topic?
- what make a PhD thesis stand out?
- what makes the graduate school experience fundamentally different from the undergraduate experience?
- how should a student prepare for a post PhD career in academia (and/or in industry)? what makes a student competitive?
- exactly how does a student find a job after getting a PhD?
- in addition to doing good research, what else should a PhD student do during the course of their studies?
- how are things changing (e.g. globalization, the financial meltdown, etc.) and what does that mean to a graduate student?