ECE 52800 - Measurement and Stimulation of the Nervous SystemLecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
CMPE Special Content Elective
Normally Offered: Each Spring
ECE 30100 and 30200 and must be enrolled as a junior, senior or graduate classification.
Introduction to the use of engineering principles to address questions of clinical significance in the nervous system. Topics include: neuroanatomy, fundamental properties of excitable tissues, sensory-motor function, electrical and magnetic stimulation, functional neuroimaging, disorders of the nervous system, development and refinement of sensory prostheses.
- Neuroengineering, 1st Edition, D. DiLorenzo, CRC Press, 2007, ISBN No. 9780849381744.
- Cellular Biophysics (Volume 2): Electrical Properties, 1st Edition, T. F. Weiss, MIT Press, 1995, ISBN No. 0-262-23184-0.
- From Neuron to Brain, 4th Edition, J. G. Nicholls, A. R. Martin, B. G. Wallace, P. A. Fuchs, Sinauer Associates, Inc., 2001, 2001, ISBN No. 0-87893-439-1.
- The Human Brain Coloring Book, M.C. Diamond, A. B. Scheibel, and L.M. Elson, Harper Perennial, 1985, ISBN No. 0-06-460306-7.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated:
- the ability to design and utilize models of neural systems to explain or predict physiologic behavior. [1,2,6]
- the ability to verbally present information related to measurement of the nervous system. [3,4]
- a systems-level understanding of the organization and operation of sensory-motor function. [1,4]
- an understanding of the ethical constraints on the development and testing of sensory prostheses. 
- the ability to examine the literature, summarize and present current and past research directed toward the improvement or replacement of impaired sensory function. [1,2,3,4,6,7]
|1||Overview of the nervous system; basic neuroanatomy|
|3||Neurophysiology (cellular models; stochastic operation)|
|2||Overview of neural systems|
|1||Student presentations on nervous system measurement and stimulation|
|2||Neural measurement and stimulation techniques|
|2||Operation, measurement and correction of auditory system|
|2||Operation, measurement and correction of motor system|
|2||Student research paper presentations|
Engineering Design Content:
Engineering Design Consideration(s):