ECE 595S - Electromagnetic and Electromechanical Component DesignLecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Experimental Course Offered: Fall 2007
This course focuses on the design of electromagnetic and electromechanical systems, with power applications. The course includes optimization methods, modeling techniques for design (as opposed to for simulation), and the formulation of design problems as optimization problems.
Required Text(s): None.
- Analysis and Design of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines, S. D. Sudhoff, S. D. Pekarek, B. Fahimi.
- Analysis of Electric Machinery and Drive Systems, 2 Edition, P.C. Krause, O. Wasynczuk, S.D. Sudhoff, IEEE Press/John Wiley & Sons, 2002, ISBN No. 0-471-14326-X.
- Techniques for Analysis and Design of Electromechanical Systems, S. D. Sudhoff, S. D. Pekarek.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated:
- An understanding of single and multi-objective optimization. [a,b,c,e,k]
- An understanding of and an ability to model magnetic materials. [a,b,e,k]
- The ability to analyze electromagnetic and electromechanical devices from a geometrical perspective. [a,b,c,e,k]
- The ability to formulate and solve design problems as optimization problems for electromagnetic and electromechanical components. [a,b,e,k]
|1||Single Objective Optimization|
|1||Multi Objective Optimization|
|5||Applied Magnetics Magnetic Materials Characterization of Magnetic Materials High Fidelity Magnetic Equivalent Circuits Introduction to Finite Element Analysis Proximity Effects and AC Resistive Losses|
|2||Power Inductor Design Characterization MEC Modeling FEA Modeling Design|
|1||Electromagnet Design Characterization MEC Modeling FEA Modeling Design|
|1||Thermal Analysis Thermal Equivalent Circuits|
|4||Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine Design Review Characterization Analytical Modeling Design|
Engineering Design Content:
Engineering Design Consideration(s):