ECE 31100 - Electric and Magnetic Fields (Now runs as ECE 30411)Lecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Normally Offered: Each Fall, Spring
(ECE 20001 Minimum Grade of C or ECE 20100 Minimum Grade of C) and (PHYS 27200 or PHYS 24100 or PHYS 25100 or PHYS 26100) and (MA 26200 or MA 26600 or MA 36600)
Continued study of vector calculus, electrostatics, magnetostatics, and Maxwell's Equations. Introduction to electromagnetic waves, transmission lines, and radiation from antennas.
- Elements of Electromagnetics, 5th Edition, Mattew N. O. Sadiku, Oxford University Press, 2009, ISBN No. 9780195387759.
- Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetics, 3rd Edition, Joseph A. Edminister, McGraw-Hill, Inc., 2010, ISBN No. 9780071632355.
Recommended Text(s): None.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated:
- an ability to work with electrostatic fields and to be able to find electric and potential fields from charge distributions including the presence of dielectric materials. 
- an ability to work with magnetostatic fields and to be able to find magnetic fields from current distributions including the presence of magnetic materials. 
- an ability to work with time varying fields including wave propagation. 
- an ability to work with transmission lines in the time and frequency domains. 
|4||Introduction: Charge; Electric and Magnetic Fields; Units; Vector Analysis; Coordinate Systems; Line, Surface and Volume Integrals; Derivatives|
|12||Electro Statics: Static Electric Fields; Gauss' Law; Coulomb's Law; Superposition; Applications of Gauss' Law (Continuous Distributions of Charge); Electric Potential; Conductors; Dielectrics; Displacement Field; Boundary Conditions; Capacitance; Electrostatic Energy; Force; Poisson's Equation; Laplace's Equation; Method of Images; Electric Currents; Continuity Equation|
|7||Magneto Statics: Static Magnetic Fields; Lorentz Force; and Ampere's Law; Vector Magnetic Potential; Biot-Savart Law; Magnetic Dipole; Magnetization; Magnetic Circuits & Magnetic Materials; Boundary Conditions; Inductance; Magnetostatic Energy; Torque|
|7||Time Dependent Fields: Faraday's Law; Transformers; Generators; Maxwell's Equations; Potential Functions and Boundary Conditions for Time Varying Fields; Wave Equation; Time Harmonic Fields|
|6||Uniform Plan Waves: Uniform Plane Wave (UPW); TEM Waves; Polarization; UPW in Lossy Media; Power flow; UPW Normal Incidence on Plane Boundary|
|5||Transmission Lines: Intro Using Parallel-Plate Transmission Line; General Transmission Line Properties; Finite Length Transmission Lines; Transient Behavior; Pulses|