ECE 595T - Measurement and Stimulation of the Nervous SystemLecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Experimental Course Offered: Spring 2005
Introduction to the use of engineering principles to address questions of clinical significance in the nervous system. Topics include neuroanatomy, fundamental properties of excitable tissues, hearing, vision, motor function, electrical and magnetic stimulation, functional neuroimaging, disorders of the nervous system, development and refinement of sensory prostheses.
- The Human Brain: An Introduction to Its Functional Anatomy, 5th Edition, J Nolte, Mosby, Inc., 2002, ISBN No. 0-323-01320-1.
- Brain Activation, 1st Edition, PE Roland, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997, ISBN No. 0-471-18441-1.
- Cellular Biophysics (Volume 2): Electrical Properties, 1st Edition, TF Weiss, MIT Press, 1995, ISBN No. 0-262-23184-0.
- Functional Brain Imaging, 1st Edition, WW Orrison, Jr., JD Lewine, JA Sanders, MF Hartshorne, Mosby-Year Book, 1994, ISBN No. 0-8151-6509-9.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated:
- the ability to design and utilize models of neural systems to explain or predict physiologic behavior. [a,b,c,e]
- the ability to verbally present information related to measurement of the nervous system. [f,g,h]
- a systems-level understanding of the organization and operation of vision, audition and motor function. [a,f,h,j]
- an understanding of the ethical constraints on the development and testing of sensory prostheses. [f,h,i,j]
- the ability to examine the literature, summarize and present current and past research directed toward the improvement or replacement of impaired sensory function. [a,b,c,e,f,g,h,i,j]
|1||<ul> <li>Overview of the nervous system; basic neuroanatomy|
|2||<li>Neurophysiology (cellular models; stochastic)<br>|
|2||<li>Overview of neural systems<br>|
|2||<li>Student presentations on nervous system measurement and stimulation<br>|
|2||<li>Operation, measurement and correction of visual system<br>|
|2||<li>Operation, measurement and correction of auditory system<br>|
|2||<li>Operation, measurement and correction of motor system<br>|
|2||<li>Student research paper presentations<br> </ul>|
Engineering Design Content:
Engineering Design Consideration(s):